Start date: 06/01/15
End date: 05/31/16
About the research
Many crashes occur each year in Iowa work zones, resulting in death and injuries to motorists and workers. Appropriate levels of traffic control will help lessen the occurrence of work zone crashes.
The Temporary Traffic Control Handbook provides a broad, easy to understand reference for temporary traffic control in work zones, addressing the safe and efficient accommodation of all road users. The information presented in the handbook is based on standards and guidance in the 2009 Edition of the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD).
This handbook can be used as a reference for temporary traffic control in work zones on all city or county roadways. However, use engineering judgment, seeking the advice of experienced professionals in difficult and complex situations.
- Temporary Traffic Control Handbook for Local Agencies (off site), Mar 2016
- Temporary Traffic Control Handbook for Local Agencies 1.46 mb pdf (Tech transfer summary) Mar 2016
- Federal Highway Administration State Planning and Research Funding
- Iowa Department of Transportation
- Iowa Highway Research Board