Institute for Transportation
Conference Room 4040A
2711 South Loop Drive, Suite 4700 (map)
Ames, IA 50010
November 17, 2022
The event runs from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Lunch will be provided during a lunch break from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
The Iowa Roundabout Design Workshop is an opportunity for designers to develop more confidence in their roundabout design skills by learning from and interacting with one of Iowa DOT’s roundabout design review consultants.
Attendees will learn the following:
- When single-lane or multi-lane roundabouts should be considered
- How to avoid common pitfalls when designing roundabouts
- Some simple modifications to improve the performance of their designs
The following topics will be included:
- Intersection Control Evaluation (ICE): What factors should be considered when reviewing an intersection, and when is a roundabout the best solution?
- Operational Analysis: Understand when to use multi-lane roundabouts and how to best optimize the design for operations and safety.
- Roundabout Design Basics: Walk through the steps of designing both single-lane and multi-lane roundabouts.
- Roundabout Design Review: Understand the Iowa DOT’s review process and what information should be provided.
This workshop is intended for designers with some roundabout design experience who are looking to enhance their skills.
Ben Wilkinson, PE (IL, WI, IA, MI, MN), has been working on the design of transportation systems for over 20 years. Over the last 15 years, Ben has focused on roundabout design and implementation. He is actively involved in on-call contracts with several agencies to assist with intersection control evaluation, roundabout design, and roundabout implementation. Ben has taught roundabout design to design professionals and has assisted with the development of roundabout design guides. He has worked on hundreds of roundabout projects across North America.