April 14, 2021
This is a free virtual event.
Start time is 8:30 am
You should receive a confirmation and webinar access email upon completed registration.
Design Length of Steel H-Piles and WEAP
The training class focuses on designing the length of steel H-pile needed for standard bridge designs in Iowa. The class considers the following:
- J- and H-standard bridges
- Pile lengths for integral abutments and pile bents
- Various soil types for assumed borings with assumed blow counts
- Consideration of friction and end bearing and the soil charts
- Consideration of scour
- Consideration of downdrag
- Consideration of setup in cohesive soil
- Effect of construction control method on design (Modified ENR Formula and WEAP)
The class leads participants through 4 different problems in order to demonstrate the design process. Participants will work at a computer using a spreadsheet setup to facilitate the design process. Since the class will be held virtually it would be ideal for each student to have two monitors (one monitor to view the presentation and one monitor to view and work on the spreadsheet). The class will receive handouts detailing the examples and spreadsheet entry along with hand calculations.
8:30 am – 11:30 am Design Length of Steel H-Piles
11:30 am – 12:30 pm Break for Lunch
12:30 pm – 2:30 pm Modified ENR Formula and WEAP Analysis