CORE Facility Conference Rooms
1805 Collaboration Place
Ames, IA 50020
October 7, 2021
Registration begins at 7:45 a.m.
Workshop starts at 8:30 a.m.
Returning in October 2021, the Multidisciplinary Roadway Safety Series (formerly the Local Road Safety Workshops) is an annual series held at convenient locations in Iowa to provide the most current information and advice for improving safety on local agencies’ roads and streets in terms of planning, law enforcement, education, and engineering. This is an opportunity to hear about the latest work and programs aimed at reducing fatal crashes on Iowa roadways from various safety partners in the state, including the Iowa DOT Traffic and Safety, Local Systems and Systems Planning Bureaus, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) – Iowa Division, Governors Traffic Safety Bureau (GTSB), and the Iowa Local Technical Assistance Program (LTAP).
Who Should Attend?
Interested professionals from engineering and planning agencies, law enforcement, consulting, and other disciplines interested in an opportunity to meet, learn, interact, and share experiences, opinions, and suggestions for strengthening and expanding the overall safety program for local roads and streets in Iowa in a multi-disciplinary manner. Crash data is also summarized, graphed, and provided to each local agency in attendance.
Agenda and Presenters
- 8:30 AM Welcome and Introductions, Overview of the day
- 8:40 AM Safe Systems for the Local Agencies – Paul LaFleur
- 9:20 AM Low Cost Safety Improvements – David Veneziano
- 9:50 AM Traffic & Safety – Changing Lanes – Jan Laaser-Webb
- 10:00 AM – 10:15 AM Break
- 10:15 AM GTSB Updates – Brandi Thompson
- 10:20 AM Fatality Reduction Task Force Overview and Update – Ashley Hochberger
- 10:35 AM Safety Performance Function Development and Potential for Crash Reduction Website – Jan Laaser-Webb
- 11:05 AM Systemic Safety Analysis for Bikes and Pedestrians – Sam Sturtz
- 11:45 AM – 12:30 PM – Lunch
- 12:30 PM Special Safety Programs for Law Enforcement Agencies – Brandi Thompson
- 1:10 PM Federal and LTAP Updates – Paul LaFleur and David Veneziano/Keith Knapp
- 1:25 PM – 1:35 PM Break
- 1:35 PM Pedestrian Crash Reduction Strategies – David Veneziano
- 2:05 PM Safety Project Funding and Assistance Programs – Sarah Okerlund/Niki Stinn
- 2:25 PM Wrap-up/Evaluations/Adjourn