DOT District 1 Ames Garage Training Academy Conference Room (map)
57073 US 30, Ames, IA 50010
September 15, 2020
Registration at 8:00 a.m.
Workshop starts at 8:30 a.m.
The modern roundabout is a proven strategy for improving the safety and operations of intersections. The physical characteristics of a well-designed modern roundabout reduce the frequency and severity of intersection crashes for all users including pedestrians and bicyclists. This course highlights the benefits of modern roundabouts and gives participants the fundamental knowledge needed to plan and consider applying roundabout intersection projects in their area. This course is an introductory level course with a blend of technical and non-technical planning, design, and operations considerations.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Distinguish a modern roundabout from other types of circular intersections
- Describe the safety advantages of roundabouts
- Describe the operational advantages roundabouts provide
- Identify what type of locations roundabouts may be appropriate
- Describe strategies to overcome common barriers to implementation of roundabouts, such as negative public perceptions
- Describe the key considerations when planning an area’s first roundabout
- Apply basic traffic operational models and capacity calculations for roundabouts
- Describe key geometric design principles of a modern roundabout
- Apply signing and marking suggested practices
- Apply design strategies for pedestrians and bicyclists