Dr. Alice Alipour has research experience in the investigation of civil infrastructure systems at both component and system levels. Her main research interests include development of resilience quantification strategies for infrastructure systems under extreme events, multi-hazard design and assessment of structures, decision-making algorithms for management of large-scale infrastructure systems, and post-disaster functionality assessment of complex networks. She has conducted cost-benefit analysis of different mitigation strategies in the context of increasing resilience. She has received over $5M in funding for her research to date.
Dr. Alipour also has more than 70 scholarly papers published in prestigious journals and presented in national and international conferences. She is actively involved with multiple Transportation Research Board (TRB) and American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) committees.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of California, Irvine, 2010
- MS, Earthquake Engineering, University of Tehran, Tehran, 2006
- BS, Civil Engineering, KNT University of Technology, Tehran, 2004
- Professional Engineer (PE) License, State of California
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, 2020–present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, 2014–2020
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 2011–2014
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California, Irvine, 2010–2011
- Bridge Engineer/Consultant, Bridge Engineering Group, URS Corporation, Santa Ana, California, 2010–2011
- Miner, N., and A. Alipour. 2022. Bridge damage, repair costs, and fragilities for inland flood events. ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 27, No. 8, pp. 1–13.
- Hareendran, S. P. and A. Alipour. 2022. Prediction of nonlinear structural response under wind loads using deep learning techniques. Journal of Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 129, pp. 1–13.
- Abdelaziz, K., A. Alipour, and J. Hobeck. 2021. A Smart Façade System Controller for Optimized Wind-Induced Vibration Mitigation in Tall Buildings. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, Vol. 212.
- Jafari, M., and A. Alipour. 2021. Review of Approaches, Opportunities, and Future Directions for Improving Aerodynamics of Tall Buildings with Smart Facades. Journal of Sustainable Cities and Society.
- Jafari, M., and A. Alipour. 2021. Aerodynamic Shape Optimization of Rectangular and Elliptical Double-Skin Façades to Mitigate Wind-Induced Effects on Tall Buildings. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics, Vol. 213.
- Micheli, L., A. Alipour, and S. Laflamme. 2021. Life-Cycle Cost Optimization of Wind-excited Tall Buildings using Surrogate Models. The Structural Design of Tall and Special Buildings, Vol. 30, No. 6.
- Tsai, L-W., and A. Alipour. 2021. Studying the Wind-Induced Vibrations of a Traffic Signal Structure through Long-Term Health Monitoring. Engineering Structures, Vol. 247.
- Zhang, N., and A. Alipour. 2021. A Multi-step Assessment Framework for Optimization of Flood Mitigation Strategies in Transportation Networks. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, Vol. 63.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Service
- Elected Chair, ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute (EMI)’s Objective Resilience Committee, 2022–present (Member from 2018)
- Associate Editor, Resilient Cities and Structures, 2022–present
- Member, ASCE SEI Committee on Multi-Hazard Mitigation, 2022–present
- Member, ASCE SEI Committee on Performance-Based Wind Engineering, 2022–present
- Member, ASCE SEI Infrastructure Resilience Division Committee, 2020–present
- Associate Editor, ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 2018–present
- Paper Coordinator, TRB ABR10 Committee on Protection of Critical Transportation Infrastructure, 2016–present
- Leadership Team, TRB ABR10 Committee on Protection of Critical Transportation Infrastructure, 2016–present
- Senior Fellow, Collegium Helveticum, ETH Zurich, 2021
- Cerwik Faculty Fellow, Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2021
- Charles Schafer Award for Excellence in Teaching, Research, and Service, Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2021
- Excellence in Remote Instruction Award, Office of the President, Iowa State University, 2021