Mr. Dan King is a research engineer for the National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, where he assists with the center’s research and technology transfer efforts, putting the latest science in concrete pavements into practice around the country. He previously worked for the Iowa Concrete Paving Association and Iowa Ready Mixed Concrete Association, where he provided his expertise in concrete pavements and materials for Iowa’s construction and engineering communities.
Mr. King is registered as a professional engineer in Iowa. He received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in civil engineering from the University of Illinois, and he is also currently pursuing a PhD in civil engineering at Iowa State.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Iowa State University (Anticipated December 2023)
- MS, Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2016
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013
- Professional Engineer (PE) License, State of Iowa (No. P25712)
- Flatwork Finisher Technician, American Concrete Institute
- Field Testing Technician I, American Concrete Institute
- Research Engineer, National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 2021–present
- Concrete Research and Design Director, Iowa Concrete Paving Association & Iowa Ready Mixed Concrete Association, Ankeny, Iowa, 2015–2021
- Advised Iowa’s construction and engineering communities on technical questions related to concrete pavement and materials
- Areas of expertise included concrete pavement design, concrete mix design, pavement condition assessment, life-cycle cost analysis, and pavement management
- Provided technical training and educational presentations at seminars, conferences, webinars, and workshops in Iowa and across the United States
- Collaborated on concrete pavement research conducted by the National Concrete Pavement Technology Center at Iowa State University, including on concrete overlays and Performance Engineered Mixtures
- King, D., A. Baral, and J. Roesler. 2021. Photocatlaytic NOx Removal Efficiency and Surface Reflectance of Carbonated Mortars. Construction and Building Materials.
- Tian, K., D. King, B. Yang, H. Ceylan, and S. Kim. 2021. Characterization of Curling and Warping Influence on Smoothness of Jointed Plain Concrete Pavements. Airfield and Highway Pavements.
- Sen, S., J. Roesler, and D. King. 2019. Albedo Estimation of Finite-Sized Concrete Specimens. Journal of Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 738–
- Gross, J., D. King, H. Ceylan, Y. Chen, and P. Taylor. 2019. Optimized Joint Spacing for Concrete Overlays with and without Structural Fiber Reinforcement, InTrans Project 15-559. National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Gross, J., D. King, D. Harrington, H. Ceylan, Y. Chen, S. King, P. Taylor, and O. Kaya. 2017. Concrete Overay Performance on Iowa’s Roadways, InTrans Project 15-559. National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- King, D., J. Roesler, and S. Sen. 2016. Emissions Reducing Benefits of Multi-Functional Photocatalytic Concrete Inlays. , 11th International Conference on Concrete Pavements, San Antonio, Texas, August 28–September 1, pp. 72–86.
- Roesler, J., H. Chavan, D. King, and A. Brand. 2016. Concrete Slab Analyses with Field-Assigned Non-Uniform Support Conditions. International Journal of Pavement Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 7, pp. 578–589.
- King, D., and J. Roesler. 2016. Surface and Microstructural Properties of Photocatalytic Cements for Pavement Applications, Report No. ICT-16-024. Center for Highway Pavement Preservation, Okemos, MI.
- Sen, S., D. King, and J. Roesler. 2015. Structural and Environmental Benefits of Concrete Inlays for Pavement Preservation. Airfield and Highway Pavements 2015, pp. 697–707.
- King, D., and J. Roesler. 2014. Backcalculation Procedure for Bonded Concrete Overlays of Asphalt Pavement. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2457, No. 1, pp. 72–29.
- King, D., J. and Roesler. 2014. Structural Performance of Ultra-Thin Whitetopping on Illinois Roadways and Parking.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Awards
- American Concrete Pavement Association
- Member, Design and Engineering Committee, 2018–present
- Member and Co-Founder, Emerging Leaders Group, 2016–present
- American Concrete Institute
- Associate Member, 309-00 Consolidation of Concrete Committee, 2022–present
- Vice President, Iowa State Student Chapter, 2020–present
- Member, Iowa Chapter, 2015–present
- University Transportation Center Outstanding Student of the Year, Center for Highway Pavement Preservation, 2015
- Harvey H. Hagge Scholarship, Illinois Ready Mixed Concrete Association, 2014
- Civil and Environmental Engineering Department Fellowship, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013–2014