Dan is a research engineer for the National Concrete Pavement Technology (CP Tech) Center, where he assists in the center’s mission of research and technology transfer toward the goal of applying leading edge concrete pavement science to concrete paving practice around the country. Dan previously worked for the Iowa Concrete Paving Association and Iowa Ready Mixed Concrete Association, where he provided his expertise in concrete pavements and materials for Iowa’s construction and engineering communities.
Dan is registered as a Professional Engineer in Iowa. He received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois, and he is also currently pursuing a PhD in Civil Engineering here at Iowa State.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, anticipated December 2023
- MS, Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2016
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013
Licenses and Certifications
- Professional Engineer, State of Iowa, License Number P25712, 2019–present
- Flatwork Finisher Technician, American Concrete Institute, 2016–present
- Field Testing Technician I, American Concrete Institute, 2015–present
- Research Engineer, National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 2021–present
- Concrete Research and Design Director, Iowa Concrete Paving Association & Iowa Ready Mixed Concrete Association, Ankeny, Iowa, 2015–2021
- Graduate Teaching Assistant,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2015
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013–2015
- King, D., Baral, A., and Roesler, J. 2021. Photocatalytic NOx Removal Efficiency and Surface Reflectance of Carbonated Mortars. Construction and Building Materials (Submitted).
- Tian, K., King, D., Yang, B., Ceylan, H., and Kim, S. 2021. Characterization of Curling and Warping Influence on Smoothness of Jointed Plain Concrete Pavements. Airfield and Highway Pavements.
- Sen, S., Roesler, J., and King, D. 2019. Albedo Estimation of Finite-Sized Concrete Specimens. Journal of Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 738–757.
- Gross, J., King, D., Ceylan, H., Chen, Y., and Taylor, P. 2019. Optimized Joint Spacing for Concrete Overlays with and without Structural Fiber Reinforcement, InTrans Project 15-559. National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Gross, J., King, D., Harrington, D., Ceylan, H., Chen, Y., King, S., Taylor, P., and Kaya, O. 2017. Concrete Overlay Performance on Iowa’s Roadways, InTrans Project 15-559. National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- King, D., Roesler, J., and Sen, S. 2016. Emissions-Reducing Benefits of Multi-Functional Photocatalytic Concrete Inlays, 11th International Conference on Concrete Pavements, San Antonio, Texas, August 28–September 1, pp. 72–86.
- Roesler, J., Chavan, H., King, D., and Brand, A. 2016. Concrete Slab Analyses with Field-Assigned Non-Uniform Support Conditions. International Journal of Pavement Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 7, pp. 578–589.
- King, D., and Roesler, J. 2016. Surface and Microstructural Properties of Photocatalytic Cements for Pavement Applications, Report No. ICT-16-024. Center for Highway Pavement Preservation, Okemos, MI.
- Sen, S., King, D., and Roesler, J. 2015. Structural and Environmental Benefits of Concrete Inlays for Pavement Preservation. Airfield and Highway Pavements 2015, pp. 697–707.
- King, D., and Roesler, J. 2014. Backcalculation Procedure for Bonded Concrete Overlays of Asphalt Pavement. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2457, No. 1, pp. 72–79.
- King, D., and Roesler, J. 2014. Structural Performance of Ultra-Thin Whitetopping on Illinois Roadways and Parking Lots, Report No. FHWA-ICT-14-018. Illinois Center for Transportation, Rantoul, IL.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Awards
- American Concrete Pavement Association
- Member, Design and Engineering Committee, 2018–present
- Member and Cofounder, Emerging Leaders Group, 2016–present
- American Concrete Institute
- Vice President, Iowa State University Student Chapter, 2020–present
- Member, Iowa Chapter, 2015–present
- University Transportation Center Outstanding Student of the Year, Center for Highway Pavement Preservation, 2015
- Harvey H. Hagge Scholarship, Illinois Ready Mixed Concrete Association, 2014
- Civil and Environmental Engineering Department Fellowship, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013–2014