Dr. Bektaş is an associate scientist at the Center for Transportation Research and Education. For more than a decade, he has been conducting pavement research. His research interests cover a wide array of pavement-related topics including material characterization, mechanical and durability testing, and asset management.
Prior to coming to Iowa State University, he was an assistant professor at Texas State University–San Marcos. He received his doctorate in civil engineering from ISU in 2007.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2007
- MS, Civil Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Turkey, 2002
- BS, Civil Engineering, Middle East Technical University, Turkey, 2002
- Associate Scientist, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2015–present
- Research Assistant Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2010–2015
- Assistant Professor, Department of Engineering Technology, Texas State University, San Marcos, TX, 2009–2010
Selected Research Projects
- Principal Investigator, Aggregate Freezing-Thawing Performance Using Iowa Pore Index Method sponsored by Midwest Transportation Center, 2015–present.
- Co-Principal Investigator, Carbonate Aggregate in Concrete, sponsored by Minnesota Department of Transportation, 2012–2015.
- Co-Principal Investigator, Pavement Management Performance Modeling: Evaluating the Existing PCI Equations, sponsored by Iowa Department of Transportation, 2012–2014.
- Researcher, Quantifying Pavement Albedo, sponsored by Federal Highway Administration, 2012–2014.
- Principal Investigator, De-icing Agent Performance Evaluation, sponsored by Iowa Center for Industrial Research and Service at Iowa State University and Iowa State University Extension and Outreach, 2012–2013
- Researcher, Self-Consolidating Concrete for Cast-in-Place Bridge Components, sponsored by National Cooperative Highway Research Program, 2012.
- Researcher, Deicer Scaling Resistance of Concrete Pavements, Bridge Decks and Other Structures Containing Slag Cement, sponsored by Federal Highway Administration, 2012.
- Researcher, Concrete Pavement Mixture Design and Analysis, sponsored by Federal Highway Administration, 2010–2012
- Researcher, Investigation of Deterioration of Joints in Concrete Pavements, sponsored by Federal Highway Administration, 2010–2012
- Researcher, Development of Performance Properties of Ternary Mixtures – Phase III: Field Demonstration Projects, sponsored by Federal Highway Administration, 2010–2012
- Researcher, Optimizing Cementitious Content in Concrete Mixtures for Required Performance, sponsored by Federal Highway Administration, 2010–2012
- Researcher, Quality Assurance and Quality Control Program for Concrete Pavements: Developing a Workshop for State Highway Agencies, sponsored by Federal Highway Administration, 2010–2011.
- Principal Investigator, Use of Waste Clay Brick as a Cement Additive in Concrete: Feasibility Study in the State of Texas, sponsored by Texas State University, San Marcos, TX, 2010–2011
- Bektas F, O. Smadi, I. Nlenanya. 2015. Pavement Condition: A New Approach for the Iowa DOT. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. 2523, pp. 40–46.
- Bektas F. and X. Wang. 2015. Statistical Mixture Design of Ternary Blends for Controlling ASR. Magazine of Concrete Research. 67, No. 2, pp. 63–70.
- Bektas F. and B. Aldemir-Bektas. 2014. Analyzing Mix Parameters in ASR Concrete Using Response Surface Methodology. Construction and Building Materials. 66, pp. 299–305.
- Bektas F. 2014. Alkali Reactivity of Crushed Clay Brick Aggregate. Construction and Building Materials. Vol. 52, 79–
- Yurdakul E., P. Taylor, H. Ceylan, F. Bektas. 2014. Effect of Water-to-Binder Ratio, Air Content, and Type of Cementitious Materials on Fresh and Hardened Properties of Binary and Ternary Blended Concrete. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. 26, No. 6.
- Jiong H., K. Wang, F. Bektas. 2014. Monitoring of Joint Cracking Development in Concrete Pavement with Concrete Embedment Strain Gages. Proceedings of the Conference on the Design, Analysis, and Asphalt Material Characterization for Road and Airfield Pavement. Geo Hubei, China, July 20–22.
- Yurdakul E., P. Taylor, H. Ceylan, F. Bektas. 2013. Effect of Paste-to-Voids Volume Ratio on the Performance of Concrete Mixtures. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering. 25, No. 12, pp. 1840–1851.
- Yurdakul M., F. Bektas, H. Akdas. 2013. Use Of Air Permeability Apparatus to Determine the Durability of Natural Building Stones. Second International Conference on Stone and Concrete Machining (ICSCM). Dortmund, Germany, November 14–15.
- Lomboy G., F. Bektas, K. Wang. 2013. Utilizing Limestone Fines for Sustainable Concrete. Conference of the ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute, Evanston, IL, August 4–7.
- Wang, X., K. Wang, F. Bektas, and F. Taylor. 2012. Drying Shrinkage of Ternary Blend Concrete in Transportation Structures. Journal of Sustainable Cement-Based Materials. 1, No. 1-2, pp. 56–66.
- Wang, X., P. Taylor, F. Bektas, K. Wang, P. Tikalsky. 2012. Drying Shrinkage Behavior of Mortars Made with Ternary Blends. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. 2290, pp. 52–59.
- Bektas, F., K. Wang. 2012. Performance of Ground Clay Brick in ASR-Affected Concrete: Effects on Expansion, Mechanical Properties and ASR Gel Chemistry. Cement and Concrete Composites. 34, No. 2, pp. 273–278.
- Yurdakul, E., P. Taylor, H. Ceylan, F. Bektas. 2012. Development of a Protocol to Assess Integral Waterproofing Admixtures. International Conference on Long-Life Concrete Pavement, Seattle, WA, September 18–21.
- Yurdakul, E., P. Taylor, H. Ceylan, F. Bektas. 2011. Preliminary Investigation on Determining the Minimum Cement Content for Performance and Sustainability. 90th Annual Meeting of Transportation Research Board, Washington, DC, January 23–27.
Professional Affiliations, Honors and Service
- Member, Transportation Research Board AFN20 Standing Committee: Properties of Concrete
- Member, Transportation Research Board AFN40 Standing Committee: Construction Materials and Placement Techniques