Mr. Hassan is a postdoctoral research associate at the Center for Transportation Research and Education. As an information design scientist and visual communication professional with more than 15 years of experience, his work includes establishing information graphics departments at media houses across the Middle East.
Mr. Hassan develops and creates data visualization and information design-based projects. His research interests include information design with an emphasis on infographic creation and data visualization, three-dimensional modeling and animation-based visualizations, and the efficacy of infographics in education and communicating complex scientific topics. In addition to his research, Mr. Hassan has taught graphic design courses at Iowa State University’s College of Design.
- MFA, Graphic Design, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2016
- BA, Book Arts and Design & Animation, Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt, 1997
- Post-doctoral Research Associate, Center for Transportation Research and Education at the Institute for Transportation, 2016–present, Ames, IA
- Develop and produce projects utilizing data visualization and information design
- Research the creation of infographics, data visualizations, 3-dimensional modeling and animation-based visualizations, and the efficacy of infographics in education and for communicating complex scientific topics
- Research Assistant, Information Design & Data Visualization, Institute for Transportation, May 2016–Aug. 2016, Ames, IA
- Assisted in research regarding data visualization and the graphic illustration of complex information
- Created data visualizations and related design and creative tasks
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, College of Design, Iowa State University, Jan. 2014–May 2016, Ames, IA
- Instructor of Record, Graphic Design Technology
- Teaching Assistant, Graphic Design History and Art History
- Graduate Assistant/Senior Graphic Designer, College of Design Dean’s Office, Iowa State University, May 2014–Aug. 2015, Ames, IA
- Worked closely with the Associate Dean to manage the development of the strategic plan for data visualization
- Analyzed college data for data visualization and design purposes
- Developed and designed new visualization methods for displaying information, including Alluvial diagrams, flow diagrams, graphs, charts, and data maps as well as the brochures, flyers, and presentation aids to display the information
- Developed graphic materials related to the college’s strategic plan and key performance indicators using data and qualitative information gathered by the college.
- Senior Graphic Designer, Alyaum Media House, Feb. 2005–Nov. 2013, Dammam, Saudia Arabia
- Combined efforts with the art director and the electronic publishing manager on the design of news supplements, web interfaces, and company websites.
- Ensured the consistent implementation of visual communication styles for a consistent visual presence across all media platforms and design productions.
- Responsible for art direction, design, and execution of various projects such as infographics, newsletters, advertisements, mastheads, logos, and digital documents as well as for the creation of illustrations and cartoons as needed.
- Supervised and mentored graphics department interns.
- Senior Graphic and Web Designer, Headline Printing and Design, Nov. 1999–Jan. 2005, Cairo, Egypt
- Consulted with account executives and clients to develop designs and illustrations
- Designed and prepared layouts with photographs, illustrations, and copy for brochures, catalogues, magazines, and posters
- Responsible for art direction, design, and website development
- Graphic Designer, Marketing and Advertising Department, Al Wazzan Group, Sept. 1998–Oct. 1999, Kuwait
- Layout and design of catalogues, brochures, posters, billboards, advertisements and packaging
- Worked collaboratively with marketing and brand managers to create designs that supported
Awards and Recognition
- Best Of Category Award in Interactive Media – ADAI (Art Directors Association of Iowa) 2016.
- Teaching Assistantship Award 2013, College of Design, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa. USA
- Information is Beautiful 2013 (8 Phases of the Moon – Long list)
- Bronze Award, Feature Design, Society of News Design-Region 20 (Middle East and Africa), 2013
- Bronze Award, News Design, Society of News Design-Region 20 (Middle East and Africa), 2013
- Syndicate of Plastic Arts Egypt (UNESCO).
- National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP)
- Society for News Design (SND)