Hyung Seok “David” Jeong
Dr. Jeong’s research has been focused on analyzing the flow of data to information and decision making throughout the project delivery process including asset management and reengineering the process for optimal flow and use of the project data. He has brought in more than $4M for the past 10 years in this research field from various funding agencies including the National Cooperative Highway Research Program, Iowa Department of Transportation, Oklahoma Department of Transportation, Oklahoma Transportation Center, Construction Industry Institute, Federal Transit Administration (FTA), Water Environmental Research Foundation, Korean Institute of Construction Technology, etc. He has published more than 60 technical papers and has been recognized for his outstanding research contribution and education activities by being awarded the 2015 CII Distinguished Professor of the Year award, 2010 CII Outstanding Researcher of the Year award, and 2008 IIE Transaction award for the best application paper in operations engineering.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, May 2005
- MS, Civil Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, December 2001
- BS, Agricultural & Civil Engineering, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, February 1994
- *Mini-MBA Certificate, Krannert Graduate School of Management, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, August 2003
- August 2012–present, Associate Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa
- August 2005–August 2012, Assistant/Associate Professor, School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, Oklahoma
- January 2001–May 2005, Graduate Teaching /Research Assistant, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
- June 1994–April 2000, project engineer and cost engineer, Daewoo Engineering and Construction, Seoul, S. Kore
Selected Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Gardner, B. J., Gransberg, D. D., and Jeong, H. D. 2016. Quantifying Efforts in Data-Driven Conceptual Cost Estimating Models for Highway Projects. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE.
- Abdelaty, A., Jeong, H. D., Smadi, O., and Gransberg, D. Pavement Treatment Decision Aid Tool for Local Agencies. Proceedings of the TRB 94th Annual Meeting, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, DC, 2016 (Paper under review).
- Le, T.+, and H. D. Jeong. 2016. Interlinking Life-Cycle Data Spaces to Support Decision Making in Highway Asset Management. Automation in Construction, Elsevier, No. 64, pp. 54–64, DOI:10.1016/j.autcon.2015.12.016.
- Pour, S.+, Jeong, H. D., Liu, T., and Oberlender, G. D. 2015. Impacts of Unit Time Values on Bidders’ Competitiveness in A+B Highway Contracts. International Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol. 4, No. 5.
- Gardner, B. J., Gransberg, D. D., and Jeong, H. D. Rationally Selecting Data for Highway Construction Cost Estimating at the Conceptual State. Proceedings of the TRB 94th Annual Meeting, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, DC, 2016 (Paper under review).
- Woldesenbet, A., and Jeong, H. D. 2014. Highway Data Quality Report Card (HDQRC): A Conceptual Framework of Pavement Management Data. Proceedings of the 2014 Construction Research Congress (CRC), Atlanta, GA, May 19–21.
- Alroomi, A., Jeong, H. S., and Oberlender, G. D. 2012. Cost Estimating Competencies Using Criticality Matrix and Factor Analysis. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, Vol. 138, No. 11, pp. 1270–1280.
- Cooksey, S., Jeong, H. S., and Chae, M. J. 2011. An Asset Management Assessment Model for State Department of Transportation. Journal of Management in Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 159–169.
Selected Other Scholarly Publications
- Jain, D., Shrestha, K. J., and Jeong, H. D. 2015. Spatial-Temporal Visualization of Unit Price Data of Highway Projects. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Construction Engineering and Project Management, Busan, South Korea, October 11–15.
- Khalegian, H., Lewis, M. P., Jeong, H. D., and Woldesenbet, A. 2014. Evaluation of Asphalt Pavement Deterioration Curves for Oklahoma Interstate Highways. Proceedings of the 2014 Construction Research Congress (CRC), Atlanta, GA, May 19–21.
- Bahrevar, E., Shane, J. S., and Jeong, H. D. 2014. Financing Options for Surface Transportation Projects in the United States. Proceedings of the TRB 93rd Annual Meeting, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Washington, DC.
- Abdollahipour, S. and Jeong, H. S. 2012. Principal-Agent Model for Determining Incentive/Disincentive Amount in Highway Rehabilitation Projects. ASCE Construction Research Congress, West Lafayette, IN, May 21–23.
- Woldesenbet, A., and Jeong, H. S. 2012. Preliminary Engineering Cost Prediction for Reliable Highway Project Budget Allocation. ASCE Construction Research Congress, West Lafayette, IN, May 21–23.
- Ceylan, H., K. Gopalakrishnan, S., Kim, P. C., Taylor, M. Prokudin, and A. Buss. 2013. Highway Infrastructure Health Monitoring Using Micro-Electromechanical Sensors and Systems (MEMS). Journal of Civil Engineering and Management, Vol. 19(sup1), pp. S188–S201. Available at www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3846/13923730.2013.801894?journalCode=tcem20#.VFP1gPnF-aI.
Professional Affiliations, Honors and Service
- 2015 CII Distinguished Professor Award
- 2013 ASCE outstanding reviewer of the year, Journal of Construction Engineering & Management
- 2013 ARTBA Young Executive Development Program Fellow
- 2010 Construction Industry Institute (CII) Outstanding Researcher of the Year Award
- 2008 Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE) Transaction Awards, Best Application Paper in Operations Engineering