Mr. John Adam is currently serving as an associate director for the National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, managing multifaceted, multiyear research projects from inception through submission of the final deliverables. He provides technical assistance, training to professionals, and presentations to key stakeholders to support advancements in concrete pavement design, construction, and maintenance. Mr. Adam has worked for the Iowa Department of Transportation (DOT) as well as several firms in private industry during his engineering career.
Mr. Adam is a 1980 graduate of Iowa State University, with a bachelor’s degree in construction engineering, and is licensed in Iowa as a civil engineer. He was highway division director and chief engineer for the Iowa DOT for six years, after earlier serving as the DOT statewide operations bureau director. Following that, he spent several years as senior vice president at Knight Engineering. In addition, he has been a member of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) Subcommittee on Highway Traffic Safety, AASHTO Standing Committee on Highways, and numerous other AASHTO subcommittees throughout his career.
Mr. Adam brings more than 30 years of experience in the design and delivery of transportation improvement projects. He has often collaborated with project stakeholders and the community to develop the right solutions for transportation challenges.
- BS, Construction Engineering, Iowa State University, 1980
- Professional Engineer (PE) License, State of Iowa (No. 10644)
- Associate Director, National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Ames, IA, 2021–present
- Lab Director/Project Manager, National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Ames, IA, 2018–2021
- Vice President, Knight E/A Inc., 2016–2018
- Chief Engineer/Highway Division Director, Iowa Department of Transportation 2010–2016
- Statewide Operations Bureau Director, Iowa Department of Transportation, 2002–2009
- Materials Engineer/Assistant Materials Engineer, Iowa Department of Transportation, 1998–2002
- District 1 Materials Engineer, Iowa Department of Transportation 1996–1998
- Asphalt Field Construction Engineer, Iowa Department of Transportation, 1990–1996
- Various Materials and Contracts Positions, Iowa Department of Transportation, 1983–1990
- Structural Steel Fabrication/Construction—Various Positions, PDM Corp., 1980–1983
- Provided leadership and guidance in establishment of QA/QC programs for asphalt contractors and for aggregate producers in Iowa
- Involved in specifications development and implementation of QA/QC for concrete paving contractors in Iowa
- Facilitated coordination and management of transportation-related research activities with various research partners and entities
- Oversight of winter maintenance program, focusing on proactive management of snow and ice control, innovation (AVL/GPS, public facing dashboard cameras), and performance measures
- Facilitated development and implementation of electronic construction project administration, including an electronic material delivery ticket process approved by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA)
- Supported development and implementation of electronic design processes allowing for full “paperless processes” from survey through design, letting, construction, and project close-out
- Successful management of the recovery efforts on the Interstate Highway System in western Iowa damaged by the historic 2011 Missouri River flood
- Adam, J. 2022. National Concrete Pavement Technology Center Update. Presented at National Concrete Consortium, September 27, Detroit, MI. Audience: approx. 175.
- Adam, J. 2022. Concrete Pavement Sustainability. Presented at MoAGC/MoDot (Missouri Association of General Contractors/Missouri DOT) Conference, December 8, Osage Beach MO. Audience: approx. 200.
- FHWA Every Day Counts 6 (EDC 6) Targeted Overlays for Pavement Solutions (TOPS) Technical Working Group, 2020–present
- American Concrete Paving Association (ACPA) – Quality Construction Committee, 2020–present
- TRB Design & Rehabilitation of Concrete Pavements Comm. (AKP 20) – “Friend,” 2020–present
- TRB Pavement Preservation Comm. (AKT 20) – “Friend,” 2020–present
- Co-Chair of NCHRP Project 20-68A, Scan 13-02, “Advances in Civil Integrated Management,” April 2015
- TRB SHRP2 Safety Data Oversight Committee, 2014–2019
- TRB Committee on Long-term Stewardship of SHRP2 Safety Data, 2013–2014
- Iowa State University Construction Engineering Industry Advisory Council, 2001–2014
- Concrete Paving Technology Center Advisory Council, 2000–2010
- National Concrete Pavement Technology Center Board Member, 2010–2016
- Iowa Department of Transportation Specifications Committee, 2000–2010
- Iowa Highway Research Board, 1990–2010
- AASHTO Standing Committee on Highways, 2010–2016
- AASHTO Subcommittee on Operations and Management (past member)
- AASHTO Subcommittee on Materials (past member)
- AASHTO Subcommittee on Performance Measures (past member)
- AASHTO Standing Committee on Highway Traffic Safety (past member)