Dr. Gopalakrishnan is an affiliate of PROSPER. His interest areas include sustainable highway and airport pavements and materials, big data mining and knowledge discovery in transportation infrastructure, nature-inspired meta-heuristics in civil engineering, smart pavement sensing and monitoring, and renewable energy co-products utilization in pavement applications.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, 2004
- MS, Civil Engineering, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA, 1999
- BE, Civil Engineering, Birla Institute of Technology & Science, Pilani, India, 1997
- Sustainable highway and airport pavements and materials
- Big data mining and knowledge discovery in transportation infrastructure
- Nature-inspired meta-heuristics in civil engineering
- Smart pavement sensing and monitoring
- Renewable energy co-products utilization in pavement applications
- Gopalakrishnan, K., Steyn, W., and Harvey, J. (Eds.) 2014. Climate Change, Energy, Sustainability and Pavements. Springer, Inc., Germany.
- Gopalakrishnan, K. 2010. Neural Networks-Swarm Intelligence Hybrid Nonlinear Optimization Algorithm for Pavement Moduli Backcalculation. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 136, No. 6, pp. 528–536.
- Gopalakrishnan, K. and Peeta, S. (Eds.). 2010. Sustainable and Resilient Critical Infrastructure Systems: Simulation, Modeling, and Intelligent Engineering. Springer, Inc., Germany.
- Gopalakrishnan, K., Ceylan, H., and Kim, S. 2010. Biofuel Co-Product Uses for Pavement Geo-Materials Stabilization. Iowa Highway Research Board, Ames, Iowa.
- Gopalakrishnan, K., Mudgal, A., and Hallmark, S. 2011. Neuro-Fuzzy Approach to Predictive Modeling of Emissions from Biodiesel Powered Transit Buses. Transport, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp. 344–352.
- Schwartz, C. W., Li, R., Kim, S., Ceylan, H., and Gopalakrishnan, K. 2011.Effect of Concrete Strength and Stiffness Characterization on Predictions of Mechanistic-Empirical Performance for Rigid Pavements. Transportation Research Record: Journal of Transportation Research Board, No. 2226, pp. 41–50.
- Gopalakrishnan, K. and Kim, S. 2011. Support Vector Machines Approach to HMA Stiffness Prediction. Journal of Engineering Mechanics, Vol. 137, No. 2, pp. 138–146.
- Gopalakrishnan, K., Birgisson, B., Taylor, P., and Attoh-Okine, N. (Eds.). 2011. Nanotechnology in Civil Infrastructure: A Paradigm Shift. Springer, Inc., Germany.
Honors And Awards
- Marquis Who is Who in America, 2005–2009
- Eisenhower Grant for Research Fellowship, FHWA, National Highway Institute (NHI), 2000–2001
- ITE Scholarship Award, Student Chapter of Institute of Transportation Engineers, Louisiana State University, 1999