Since stepping down as Department Chair, Dr. Greimann has been a major contributor and graduate student supervisor for several bridge-related research projects, including integral abutment and integral pier bridges as well as health monitoring of civil structures. He works with the Bridge Engineering Center on these efforts.
Throughout his career, Dr. Greimann has performed research on a variety of topics, including reliability of nuclear containment vessels (ultimate strength and shell buckling) for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, maintenance management systems for the Corps of Engineers, foundation design for standpipes and water towers, lightning effects on concrete, tornado structural damage documentation, breakwater failure assessment, motion of the Iowa State University stadium, diaphragms of shear of steel deck reinforced concrete slabs, and reliability assessment of stiffened cylinders.
- PhD, Structural Engineering, University of Colorado, 1968
- MS, Structural Engineering, University of Colorado, 1966
- BS, Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 1964
- Bridge Engineer, Bridge Engineering Center, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2007–present
- Interim Director, Center for Transportation Research and Education, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2006
- Emeritus Professor and Chair, Department of Civil and Construction Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2005–present
- Chair, Department of Civil and Construction Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 1990–2005
- Associate Manager, Bridge Engineering Center, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 1986-2002
- Professor, Department of Civil and Construction Engineering, Iowa State University, 1973–2005
Selected Research Projects
- Connection Details of Adjacent Precast Concrete Box Beam Bridges, NCHRP 12-95, Brent Phares, Jimmy Y. Deng, Lowell Greimann (20%), 2013-2016.
- Structural Health Monitoring Damage Detection, Bridge Capacity, and Remaining Life Determination (multiple projects), pooled fund study, Brent Phares, Terry Wipf, Junwon Seo, Yaohua Deng, Lowell Greimann (20%), 2008-2017.
- Study of the Impacts of Implements of Husbandry on Bridges, pooled fund study, Brent Phares, Junwon Seo, Lowell Greimann (20%), 2009-2016.
- Evaluation of the Need for Longitudinal Median Joints in Bridge Decks on Dual Structures, Iowa DOT, Brent Phares, Lowell Greimann (20%), 2013-2015.
- Investigation of Negative Moment Reinforcing in Bridge Decks Iowa DOT, Brent Phares, Lowell Greimann (20%), 2013-2015.
- Data Processing Techniques for Determining Changes in Structural Stiffness in Timber Bridges, Brent Phares, Terry Wipf, Lowell Greimann (20%), 2011-2014.
- Curved Girder Bridges with Integral Abutments: Brent Phares, Lowell Greimann (20%), 2008-2013.
- Testing and Long-Term Monitoring of 9th Street Bridge over I-235 in Des Moines, Integral Abutments Supported on Steel Pile/Concrete Drilled Shaft in Glacial Clay, Brent Phares, Terry Wipf, Lowell Greimann (15%), 2006-2009.
- Instrumentation and Monitoring of Precast Bridge Approach Tied to an Integral Abutment in Bremer County, Brent Phares, Lowell Greimann (10%), 2008-2010.
- Remote Monitoring of Historic Covered Timber Bridges in Madison County, Terry Wipf, Brent Phares, Lowell Greimann (10%), USDA Forest Products Lab, 2004-2006.
- Integral Abutment Bridges, Lowell Greimann, Robert Abendroth, Darrel Girton, Iowa DOT, 1980-2005, (5 contracts).
- Health Monitoring of Bridge Structures and Components Using Smart-Structure Technology, Brent Phares, Terry Wipf, Lowell Greimann (10%), Wisconsin DOT, 2003-2005.
- Deng, Y., B. M. Phares, L. Greimann, G. Shryack, and J. Hoffman. 2015. Behavior of Curved and Skewed Bridges with Integral Abutments. Journal of Constructional Steel Research. Vol. 109, pp. 115–136.
- Phares, B. M., P. Lu, T. Wipf, L. Greimann, and J. Seo. 2013. Field Validation of a Statistical-Based Bridge Damage-Detection Algorithm. Journal of Bridge Engineering. Vol. 11, No. 11, pp. 1227–1238.
- Phares, B. M., A. S. Faris, L. Greimann, and D. Bierwagen. 2013. Integral Bridge Abutment to Approach Slab Connection. Journal of Bridge Engineering. Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 179-181.
- Phares, B. M., P. Lu, T. Wipf, L. Greimann, and S. Junwon. 2013. Evolution of a Bridge Damage-Detection Algorithm. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Vol. 2331, No. 1, pp. 71–80.
- Lu, P., B. Phares, L. Greimann, and T. Wipf. 2010. A Statistical Based Damage Detection Approach in Highway Bridge Structural Health Monitoring. 89th Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, January 10–14.
- Bigelow, J., S. Lebow, C. Clausen, L. Greimann, and T. Wipf. 2009. Preservation Treatment for Wood Bridge Applications. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. Vol. 2108, pp 77–85.
- Sritharan, S., J. VanderWerff, R. E. Abendroth, W. G. Wassef, and L. F. Greimann. 2005. Seismic Behavior of a Concrete/Steel Integral Bridge Pier System. Journal of Structural Engineering. Vol. 131, No. 7, pp. 1083–1094.
- McKay, D. T., K. R. Rens, L. F. Greimann, and J. H. Stecker. 1999. Condition Index Assessment for U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Civil Works. Journal of Infrastructure Systems. Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 52–60.
- Greimann, L., J. Stecker, K. Rens, D. McKay, and S. Foltz. 1997. Condition Assessment of Navigation Lock and Dam Structures. Proceedings of the Infrastructure Condition Assessment Conference: Art, Science, and Practice, Boston, MA, August 25–27.
- Rens, K., and L. Greimann. 1997. An Ultrasonic Approach for Nondestructive Testing of Deteriorating Infrastructures. Journal of Performance of Constructed Facilities. Vol. 11, No. 3, pp. 97–104.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Service
- Registered professional Engineer, Iowa and Colorado
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers
- Member, National Society of Professional Engineers, American Society of Engineering Education, and the Iowa Highway Research Board.
- Supervised 55 Master’s Students and 9 PhD candidates.
- Served the university in many capacities while a professor and department chair, including on the engineering academic council, ISU Daily publication board, engineering career services task force, building supervisor, research council, and college strategic plan task force.