Dr. Smadi has over 25 years of experience in the area of infrastructure and asset management ranging from pavements, bridges, safety, pavement marking, signs and other infrastructure assets. He is currently serving as PI for several research projects for the Iowa Department of Transportation, the Iowa Highway Research Board, the federally funded Midwest Transportation Center, National Cooperative Highway Research Program, Second Highway Research Program, and Federal Highway Administration dealing with roadway data, safety, and asset management.
- PhD, Transportation Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2000
- MS, Transportation Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 1994
- BS, Civil Engineering, Yarmouk University, Jordan, 1987
Iowa State University (ISU), Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering
- Associate Professor, 2014–present
- Associate Chair for Research and International Collaboration, 2020–present
Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University
- Director, Center for Transportation Research and Education (CTRE), 2015–present
- Director, Roadway Infrastructure Management and Operations Systems (RIMOS) program, 2010–present
- Research Scientist, 1994–present
Selected Research Projects
- Iowa Pavement Management Support, Iowa DOT
- Wet Reflective Pavement Marking Evaluation, Ohio DOT
- Technical Support for the Roadway Information Database, National Academies
- PONTIS (Bridge Management) Implementation and Operation, Iowa DOT
- Impact of Connected/Autonomous Vehicles on Maintenance, NCHRP
- Developing Transportation Asset Management Plans (TAMP) Guidance Documents, FHWA
- Impact of Pavement Friction on Safety, Iowa DOT
- Use of Functional Silos to Optimize Agency Decision Making, Midwest Regional University Transportation Center, University of Wisconsin
- Development of a monograph on the “Science of Transportation Asset Management,” in partnership with the Office of Asset Management, FHWA
- Nlenanya, I., and Smadi, O. 2021. A Risk Management Database Framework Implementation for Transportation Asset Management. CivilEng, Vol. 2, pp. 193–
- Sassani, A., Smadi, O., and Hawkins, N. 2021. Developing Pavement Marking Management Systems: A Theoretical Model Framework Based on the Experiences of the US Transportation Agencies. Infrastructures, January 2021.
- Alhasan, A., Smadi, O., Walton, R., and Schleppi, B. L. 2020. Pavement texture characterization using wavelets analysis in relation to pendulum skid tester. International Journal of Pavement Engineering, December 2020.
- Hallmark, S., Goswamy, A., Litteral, T., Hawkins, N., Smadi, O., and Knickerbocker, S. Evaluation of sequential dynamic chevron warning systems on rural two-lane curves. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2674, No. 10.
- Khatami, D., Shafei, B., and Smadi, O. 2016. Management of Bridges under Aging Mechanisms and Extreme Events: Risk-Based Approach. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2550, pp. 89–95.
- Bektas, F., Smadi, O., and Nlenanya, I. 2015. Pavement Condition: New Approach for Iowa Department of Transportation. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2523, pp. 40–46.
- Zimmerman, K. and Smadi, O. 2014. Investigating Consistency in Highway Performance Monitoring System and Pavement Management Reporting. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2455, pp. 37–43.
- Bektas, B. A., Carriquiry, A., and Smadi, O. 2013. Using Classification Trees for Predicting National Bridge Inventory Condition Ratings. Journal of Infrastructure Systems, pp. 425–433.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Service
- Transportation Research Board (TRB)
- Member, TRB Committee AFD20 – Pavement Monitoring and Evaluation (Chair for 6 years)
- Member, TRB Committee AFD10 – Pavement Management (2000 to 2012)
- Member, TRB Committee ABC40 – Asset Management
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Member, ASCE Infrastructure Management Committee
- Member, ASCE Advanced Technology Committee
- Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE)
- Friend, AAHSTO Asset Management Subcommittee
- International Road Federation (IRF): Asset Management Committee (Chair for 4 years)
- World Road Association (PIARC): Infrastructure Asset Management Group