Dr. Roy Sturgill is an accomplished researcher and has served as principal investigator or co-investigator on over a dozen research projects totaling over $1.5M (inclusive of both state and national funding). Before coming to Iowa State University, he worked as a research engineer at the Kentucky Transportation Center at the University of Kentucky in their Construction Engineering and Project Management Program and as an engineer with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, working in construction management and highway design conducting constructability reviews.
Dr. Sturgill is a member of the Transportation Research Board’s Standing Committee on Construction Management, friend to the Information Systems in Construction Management Sub-committee, friend to the Standing Committee on Project Delivery Methods, and Committee Research Chair of the Standing Committee on Utilities. He is a licensed professional engineer in both Kentucky and Iowa and has held previous sustainability-related credentials (LEED GA and GreenRoads STP).
- University of Kentucky– Lexington, Kentucky
- PhD, Civil Engineering, 2018
- MA, Business Administration, 2003
- BS, Civil Engineering (Minor: Mathematics), 2003
- Graduate Certificates: Applied Statistics
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- MS, Civil Engineering – Construction Engineering and Project Management, 2004
- Graduate Certificates: Engineering Education, Preparing the Future Professoriate
- Professional Engineering (PE) License, State of Iowa (No. P25629) (Active)
- Professional Engineering (PE) License, State of Kentucky (No. 26119) (Active)
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Green Associate (LEED-GA), 2009 (Inactive)
- Greenroads Sustainable Transportation Professional, STPα, among the initial 25 credentialed, 2012 (Inactive)
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2019–present
- Research Engineer, Kentucky Transportation Center, University of Kentucky, 2012–2019
- Adjunct Instructor, Department of Civil Engineering, University of Kentucky, 2013–2013
- Adjunct Instructor, Civil Engineering Technology Program, Bluegrass Community and Technical College, 2012–2014
- Engineer, Division of Highway Design, Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, 2012–2013
- Engineer, Division of Construction, Kentucky Transportation Cabinet, 2007–2012
- Al-Bayati, A., R. Sturgill, L. Panzer, Montes Victorio, S., and Omer, T. 2022. Locating underground utilities in the United States: A comparative analysis of services provided by private locators. Transportation Research Interdisciplinary Perspectives, Vol. 16.
- Tripathi, A., D. Patel, R. Sturgill, and G. Dadi. 2022. An Analysis of e-Ticketing Technology for Inspection Performance and Practicality on Asphalt Paving Operations. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2676, No. 8.
- Li, Y., S. Al-Haddad, T. Taylor, P. Goodrum, and R. Sturgill. 2019. Impact of Utilizing Construction Engineering and Inspection Consultants on Highway Construction Project Cost and Schedule Performance. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2673, No. 11, pp. 716–725.
- Al-Shabbani, Z., R. Sturgill, and G. Dadi. 2018. Developing a Pre-Task Safety Briefing Tool for Kentucky Maintenance Personnel. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2672, No. 12, pp. 187–197.
- Li, Y., T. Taylor, G. Dadi, and R. Sturgill. 2017. Modeling Long-Term Highway Staffing Requirements for State Transportation Agencies. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2612, No. 1, pp. 76–84.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Service
- Transportation Research Board:
- Committee Research Chair, Standing Committee on Utilities (AFB 70), 2020–present
- Member, Standing Committee on Construction Management (AFH 10), 2013–present
- Friend, Information Technology in Construction Subcommittee (AFH 10(1)), 2013–present
- Friend, Standing Committee on Project Delivery Methods (AFH 15), 2016–present
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers, UESI Utility Coordination Committee, 2018–present
- Member, American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials (AASHTO) Technical Subcommittees (Utility Mapping, GIS & SUE; Utility Project Scoping & Coordination; Utility Accommodation & Safety), 2017–present