Dr. Wang serves the National Concreate Pavement Technology Center as its project manager. He has been active working as a researcher in concrete material related areas for over eight years. He has been involved in various aspects of concrete material research, including design, field implementation, and evaluation. Dr. Wang’s research interests include the sustainable design of performance-engineered mixtures, non-destructive analysis and application, and innovative test method development. Dr. Wang has authored and co-authored over 30 technical publications and served as an active member in the Transportation Research Board, International Society for Concrete Pavements, and the National Concrete Consortium, with particular involvement in concrete pavement material technology.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2014
- MS, Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2011
- BS, Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2009
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Civil, Construction & Environmental Engineering (CCEE), Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2016-present.
- Project Manager, National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2016–present.
- Post-doctoral Research Associate, National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2014–2015.
- PCC Research Lab Assistant, National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2013–2014 .
Selected Research Projects
Dr. Wang has been involved in many significant research programs including the following:
- Researcher: “Cement Changes and Solutions to the Industry,” collaboration with North Dakota State University, Department of Energy, 2015
- Principle researcher: “Extended Life Concrete Bridge Decks Utilizing Improved Internal Curing to Reduce Cracking,” Ohio Department of Transportation, 2015
- Submitted research proposal as Co-PI: “Investigation of Alternative Approaches to Assessing and Mitigating Risk of D-Cracking in Concrete Aggregates,” American Concrete Institute Foundation, 2015
- Principal researcher: “Test Protocol,” City of West Des Moines, 2015
- Drafted research proposal as principle researcher: “Assessment of PCC Concrete Setting Time and Joint Sawing TR-675,” Iowa Department of Transportation, 2013
- Principle researcher: “Quantifying Pavement Albedo,” Federal Highway Administration DTFH61-12-C-00016, 2012
- Principle researcher: “Evaluation and Testing of a Light-weight Fine Aggregate Concrete Bridge Deck in Buchanan County, Iowa,” Iowa Department of Transportation, 2012
- Co-PI and drafted ABET teaching proposal: “Transforming Traditional Lab Instruction to Blended Instruction through Computer-Mediated Activities,” Iowa State University, 2012
- Drafted research proposal as principle researcher: “NCHRP 18-16: Self-Consolidating Concrete for Cast-in-Place Bridge Components,” National Cooperative Highway Research Program, 2011
- Principle researcher: “Development of Performance Properties of Ternary Mixtures: Field Demonstration Projects,” Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) TPF-5(117), 2009
- Researcher: “Concrete Pavement Mixture Design and Analysis, Federal Highway Administration (TPF 5),” 2009
- Wang, X. and P. Taylor. 2017. Surface Sealers in Joints. 53rd Annual Concrete Paving Workshop, Altoona, Iowa, February 1–3.
- Wang, X., P. Taylor, and D. King. 2016. Assuring Optimum Durability In Our Concrete Mixes West Des Moines Initiative. Interactive Materials and Construction Practices for Concrete Pavements Workshop, Bismarck, North Dakota, December.
- Wang, X. 2016. Getting the Mixture We Need. Workshop 6: Performance-Engineered Mixtures (PEM). The 11th International Conference on Concrete Pavements. San Antonio, Texas, August 28–Sept. 1.
- Wang, X., P. Taylor, X. Wang. 2016. Using A Vibrating Kelly Ball Test (VKelly Test) to Determine the Workability of Slipform Concrete Mixtures. International Conference on Transportation Infrastructure and Materials (ICTIM), Xi’an, Shaanxi, China, July 16–18.
- Wang, X. 2015. Particle Packing: An Effective Approach to Optimize Design of Self Consolidating Concrete. American Concrete Institute, Iowa Chapter Meeting. April.
- Wang, X., P. Taylor, and K. Wang. 2015. Image Analysis Applications on Assessing Static Stability and Flowability of Self-Consolidating Concrete. Journal of Cement and Concrete Composites. Vol. 62, pp. 156–167.
- Wang, X., P. Taylor, K. Wang, and M. Lim. 2015. Monitoring of Setting Time of Self-Consolidating Concrete Using Ultrasonic Wave Propagation Method and Other Tools. Magazine of Concrete Research. Vol. 68, No. 3, pp. 151–162.
- Wang, X., P. Taylor, K. Wang, and G. Morcous. 2015. Effects of Paste-to-Voids Volume Ratio on Performance of Self-Consolidating Concrete Mixtures. Magazine of Concrete Research. Vol. 67, No. 14, pp. 771–785.
- Wang, X., P. Taylor, K. Wang, and G. Morcous. 2014. Assessing Particle Packing Based Self-Consolidating Concrete Mix Design Method. Journal of Construction and Building Materials. Vol. 70, pp. 439–452.
- Wang, X., P. Taylor, F. Bektas, K. Wang, and P. Tikalsky. 2012. Drying Shrinkage Behavior of Mortars Made with Ternary Blends. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. No. 2290, pp. 52–59.
- Lomboy, G., X. Wang, K. Wang. 2014. Rheological Behavior and Formwork Pressure of NC, SCC and SFSCC Mixtures. Journal of Cement and Concrete Composite. Vol. 54, pp. 110–116.
- Chen, Y., K. Wang, X. Wang, and W. Zhou. 2013. Strength, Fracture, and Fatigue of Pervious Concrete. Journal of Construction and Building Materials. Vol. 42, pp. 97–104.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Awards
- Member, International Society for Concrete Pavement since 2015
- Member, Transportation Research Board Committee AFN 30 and 40 since 2015
- Member, National Concrete Consortium since 2014
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineer (ASCE) since 2010
- Member, American Concrete Institute (ACI) since 2009