Ready Mixed Concrete Research and Education Foundation
About the research
The Guide to Concrete Overlays of Asphalt Parking Lots provides information for decision-makers and practitioners about selecting, designing, and constructing successful concrete overlays on existing asphalt parking lot pavements that serve public, commercial, or multifamily residential buildings. The guide focuses on parking areas that carry and store light vehicles (primarily automobiles and pickup trucks), but it also addresses adjacent access roads and truck lanes that regularly carry heavy trucks for the delivery and pickup of goods and materials, including solid waste containers.
This document offers expert guidance to supplement practitioners’ own professional experience and judgment. With this information, parking lot owners can confidently include concrete overlays in their toolbox of asphalt parking lot maintenance solutions and make informed decisions about overlay design and construction based on existing asphalt conditions.
The following material has been updated or added for the second edition of this guide:
- The information on pavement assessment has been simplified.
- Information has been added on designing around fixed elevations.
- An overlay strategy flowchart has been added.
- The information on macrofibers has been updated.
- Project profiles demonstrating the principles of this guide have been added.
- Information has been added on laser-guided screed texture and cure equipment.
Information on distress identification and the key points of materials and construction have been relocated to appendices.