Antonio Arenas Amado
Kori Mahieu is the Education and Activity Administrator for the Iowa Local Technical Assistance Program. She provides event coordination as well as administrative support to the program. Kori provides support to the LTAP staff with the coordination of events and workshops in the delivery of transportation training and outreach efforts to local agency officials.
- BS, Rasmussen University, Bloomington, MN, 2021
- AA, Marshalltown Community College, Marshalltown, IA, 2010
- Education & Activity Administrator, Iowa Local Technical Assistance Program, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2022–present
- Provides event coordination and administrative support to the program
- Supports the coordination of events and workshops
- Education Manager, Iowa Funeral Directors Association, West Des Moines, IA, 2021–2022
- Continually adapted and improved upon educational program materials to provide value for association members
- Ensured that educational offerings meet state licensure requirements, standards of professionalism, and identified educational goals
- Planned and executed educational opportunities, including annual OSHA training, webinars, and statewide district meetings
- Worked effectively with team to successfully communicate and promote educational offerings
- Created and maintained practical recordkeeping systems for recording attendees, profit/loss statements, and other useful records
- Answered member questions, fulfill member requests, and work with the IFDA team to complete day-to-day operations of the office
- Led planning for IFDA’s annual convention by selecting speakers, securing sponsorships, organizing exhibitors, and managing registration for 500+ attendees
- Assistant Director, Bright Horizons Family Solutions, Des Moines, IA, 2018–2020
- Managed a team of 10+ staff members including scheduling, performance reviews, and mentoring
- Reviewed and assessed curriculum and classroom experiences to ensure they meet program standards
- Developed employees through regular trainings to ensure they meet state, federal, and company guidelines
- Ensured compliance with licensing regulations
- Communicated and followed up with families and staff regarding child care issues and concerns
- Monitored financial performance as well as maintained accurate and current financial records
- Attracted new clients and maintain relationships with existing clients
- Lead Teacher, Bright Horizons Family Solutions, Ames, IA, 2011–2018
- Provided high-quality care and educational experiences for children
- Created weekly lesson plans that reflect The World at Their Fingertips curriculum
- Acted in accordance with licensing regulations
- Taught children through hands-on experiences and play
- Maintained open and cooperative relationships with clients and team members
- Completed developmental documentation and conferences using Teaching Strategies GOLD
- Multi-tasking and follow-through
- Team-oriented with management experience
- Experience working on both long- and short-term projects
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Leadership and teaching
Ahmed AlBughdadi is housed at the Institute for Transportation, contributing to various research on projects associated with the Center for Transportation Research and Education, with an emphasis in transportation asset management.
Leif Wathne, P.E., serves as an associate director for the National Concrete Pavement Technology Center (CP Tech Center), managing activities under current federal cooperative agreements, assisting in the development and communication of best practice guidance products, and nurturing CP Tech Center engagement with the concrete pavement construction industry.
Zane Charter is a communications specialist with the publications group at the Institute for Transportation. Zane is a 2022 graduate from Iowa State University, with a degree in Technical Communication and a minor in Journalism and Mass Communication. While pursuing his degree, Zane worked as a diversity reporter for the Iowa State Daily and an editorial assistant for the Literary Journalism Studies journal.
Varsha Ravichandra-Mouli is housed at the Institute for Transportation, contributing to various research on transportation projects associated with the Center for Transportation Research and Education.
Dan is a research engineer for the National Concrete Pavement Technology (CP Tech) Center, where he assists in the center’s mission of research and technology transfer toward the goal of applying leading edge concrete pavement science to concrete paving practice around the country. Dan previously worked for the Iowa Concrete Paving Association and Iowa Ready Mixed Concrete Association, where he provided his expertise in concrete pavements and materials for Iowa’s construction and engineering communities.
Dan is registered as a Professional Engineer in Iowa. He received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois, and he is also currently pursuing a PhD in Civil Engineering here at Iowa State.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, anticipated December 2023
- MS, Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2016
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013
Licenses and Certifications
- Professional Engineer, State of Iowa, License Number P25712, 2019–present
- Flatwork Finisher Technician, American Concrete Institute, 2016–present
- Field Testing Technician I, American Concrete Institute, 2015–present
- Research Engineer, National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa, 2021–present
- Concrete Research and Design Director, Iowa Concrete Paving Association & Iowa Ready Mixed Concrete Association, Ankeny, Iowa, 2015–2021
- Graduate Teaching Assistant,
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2015
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013–2015
- King, D., Baral, A., and Roesler, J. 2021. Photocatalytic NOx Removal Efficiency and Surface Reflectance of Carbonated Mortars. Construction and Building Materials (Submitted).
- Tian, K., King, D., Yang, B., Ceylan, H., and Kim, S. 2021. Characterization of Curling and Warping Influence on Smoothness of Jointed Plain Concrete Pavements. Airfield and Highway Pavements.
- Sen, S., Roesler, J., and King, D. 2019. Albedo Estimation of Finite-Sized Concrete Specimens. Journal of Testing and Evaluation, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 738–757.
- Gross, J., King, D., Ceylan, H., Chen, Y., and Taylor, P. 2019. Optimized Joint Spacing for Concrete Overlays with and without Structural Fiber Reinforcement, InTrans Project 15-559. National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Gross, J., King, D., Harrington, D., Ceylan, H., Chen, Y., King, S., Taylor, P., and Kaya, O. 2017. Concrete Overlay Performance on Iowa’s Roadways, InTrans Project 15-559. National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- King, D., Roesler, J., and Sen, S. 2016. Emissions-Reducing Benefits of Multi-Functional Photocatalytic Concrete Inlays, 11th International Conference on Concrete Pavements, San Antonio, Texas, August 28–September 1, pp. 72–86.
- Roesler, J., Chavan, H., King, D., and Brand, A. 2016. Concrete Slab Analyses with Field-Assigned Non-Uniform Support Conditions. International Journal of Pavement Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 7, pp. 578–589.
- King, D., and Roesler, J. 2016. Surface and Microstructural Properties of Photocatalytic Cements for Pavement Applications, Report No. ICT-16-024. Center for Highway Pavement Preservation, Okemos, MI.
- Sen, S., King, D., and Roesler, J. 2015. Structural and Environmental Benefits of Concrete Inlays for Pavement Preservation. Airfield and Highway Pavements 2015, pp. 697–707.
- King, D., and Roesler, J. 2014. Backcalculation Procedure for Bonded Concrete Overlays of Asphalt Pavement. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2457, No. 1, pp. 72–79.
- King, D., and Roesler, J. 2014. Structural Performance of Ultra-Thin Whitetopping on Illinois Roadways and Parking Lots, Report No. FHWA-ICT-14-018. Illinois Center for Transportation, Rantoul, IL.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Awards
- American Concrete Pavement Association
- Member, Design and Engineering Committee, 2018–present
- Member and Cofounder, Emerging Leaders Group, 2016–present
- American Concrete Institute
- Vice President, Iowa State University Student Chapter, 2020–present
- Member, Iowa Chapter, 2015–present
- University Transportation Center Outstanding Student of the Year, Center for Highway Pavement Preservation, 2015
- Harvey H. Hagge Scholarship, Illinois Ready Mixed Concrete Association, 2014
- Civil and Environmental Engineering Department Fellowship, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2013–2014
Paul Lundgren is a Database Administrator for the Institute for Transportation, assigned to work on the Iowa Public Works Service Bureau project. He has a background in computer science and communications, and has worked in the fields of data analysis, report development, quality assurance, and customer service. He is a native Iowan who has lived in Ames since 2000, and is in his second position with the University, having worked as a computer technician in the Veterinary Medicine building.
- AAS, Hamilton College, Mason City, IA
- BA, Communications, Western Illinois University, Macomb, IL
- AA, Liberal Arts, Southeastern Community College, West Burlington, IA
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate – Database Development, SQL 2016
- Foundation-Level QA Certification, American Software Testing Qualifications Board
- CompTIA A+ Desktop Technician
Software & Hardware Experience
- ETL development using SQL Server, SSIS, and Alteryx in a combined Salesforce and MSSQL environment (3 years)
- Writing queries for SQL Server, including Teradata, Microsoft, and Oracle platforms (5 years)
- Developing reports in SSRS, MS Report Builder, Power BI, and InfoMaker report development software (5 years)
- MS Office Suite 2007–2016, expert level user of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint (10+ years)
- Microsoft Windows 95-Windows 10 troubleshooting (10+ years)
- MS SharePoint for documentation and forms creation (2 years)
- Adobe Acrobat Professional (5 years)
- XML and HTML development (2 years)
Wells Fargo, Data Consultant (April 2020–present)
- Writes complex SQL queries in Teradata for data analysis and transformation
- Creates data analysis reports in Microsoft Excel
- Creates and maintains complex ETL processes with SSIS to move data between servers so as to measure key performance indicators for marketing campaigns
Intoxalock, Data Analyst/Report Developer (September 2019–April 2020)
- Writes complex MSSQL queries for data analysis and transformation
- Creates data analysis reports in SSRS and Microsoft Power BI
- Advises the engineering department on historical patterns of system performances of small-scale mechanical and digital devices
Holmes Murphy & Associates, ETL Developer (November 2018–September 2019)
- Developed workflow packages for insurance benefits department
- Created new database structures in MSSQL for ETL processing
- Wrote complex MSSQL queries for data analysis and transformation
- Assembled ETL workflows in Alteryx for transferring data between MSSQL and Salesforce.
- Performed quality assurance testing in Salesforce front-end environment
Amerigroup Iowa, Business Information Analyst (June 2017–November 2018)
- Worked in the finance department to produce Medicaid reporting and data analysis
- Produced advanced, ad-hoc T-SQL queries for reporting purposes
- Assembled data within Excel, using pivot tables, charts, and trend lines
- Provided low- to high-level analysis of financial trends for the finance director and company executives
Wells Fargo Financial Services, QA Analyst (April 2017–June 2017)
- Worked within a 15-member team with a high degree of collaboration to ensure accurate deployment of internal content management system
- Examined source and targeted files in HTML and XML to verify accuracy of translation to new content system
- Used Access and Excel for error tracking and reporting
Iowa State University, Ames, IA, Support Specialist II (January 2015–February 2017)
- Implemented new Oracle PL/SQL-based browser management and billing software system for animals cared for in the ISU’s Lab Animal Resources department
- Created custom business reports for end users using Oracle SQL Developer 3 and 4, within SSRS
- Generated ad-hoc SQL queries as needed for multiple lines of business and analytic requirements
- Created new views and stored procedures for new system requirements
- Made periodic recommendations to the director of Lab Animal Resources and the Attending Veterinarian on technology issues and system performance
- Collaborated with database administrators to implement database upgrades in coordination with the software vendors
- Gathered end-user requirements, documented them, and either passed them on to the software vendor or developed and implemented them myself
- Performed basic and advanced modifications to the program’s layouts in XML, per requirements gathered from end users
- Conducted in-house training and continuing education sessions for university personnel, including veterinarians, bookkeeping personnel, and animal caretakers
- Served as CorePlus Coordinator for the Lab Animal Resources department, maintaining and troubleshooting department computers and peripherals
Xpanxion, LLC, Ames, IA, QA Tester (February 2013–December 2014)
- Executed test cases and test plans including executing SQL scripts in testing environment.
- Performed comparison queries between T-SQL and PL/SQL
- Verified and prioritized defects and determining their severity
- Updated knowledge base for client project using various tools, including MS Excel, Microsoft Test Manager, Google Drive, and SharePoint
Senior Forms Developer
- Developed PDF reports using Sybase SQL Server
- Delivered QA products under deadline
- Used web-based business analysis software to report to team leaders and other project members
Ortho Computer Systems, Ames, IA, Software Support Representative (May 2000–January 2013)
- Provided phone support of multiple proprietary software programs across a wide variety of platforms
- Conducted over 150 trainings for customers’ office staff on the implementation of proprietary software both on-site and company sponsored training environments
- Trained new employees on software
- Managed software issues across departments
Dr. Katherine Madson is a Faculty Affiliate with the Construction Management and Technology Program and an Assistant Professor in the Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering at Iowa State University. Dr. Madson’s research is at the intersection of decision-making under uncertainty and asset management. The general objective of her research is to ensure that, during the front-end planning process, assets are strategically designed and constructed to reach the end of the design life and are not retired early due to poor planning, realized uncertainty, or general lack of resilience.
- PhD, Construction Management, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 2020
- MEng, Civil Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 2018
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 2013
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil, Construction & Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, July 2020–present
- Site Engineer I/II, Great Lakes Dredge and Docks Company, 2014–2016
- Miner, N, Karabulut-Ilgu, A., Shane, J., and Madson, K. 2021. Engineers as Effective Team Players: Evaluating Teamwork Skills in a Flipped Project Management for Civil Engineers Course. , 2021 ASEE Virtual Annual Conference.
- Madson, K., Franz, B., Molenaar, K., and Kremer, G. 2020. Strategic Development of Flexible Manufacturing Facilities. Journal of Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management.
- Molenaar, K., Franz, B., Kremer, G., Bastias, A., Madson, K., and Potter, L. 2019. MLS-01 Flexible Facility Development for Manufacturing & Life Sciences, Construction Industry Institute Research Report.
- Madson, K., and Franz, B. 2019. Real Options Approach for Flexible Building Delivery. , 2020 Construction Research Congress.
- Madson, K., and Franz, B. 2019. Scenario-Based Flexible Manufacturing Facility Designs: Understanding Lifecycle Value. , EPOC 2019.
- Gregory, S., Bastias, A., Molenaar, K., Madson, K., Franz, B., Potter, L, and Kremer, G. 2019. Assessing the Influence of Manufacturing Flexibility on Facility Construction Costs. , 2019 IISE Annual Conference.
- Potter, L., Raje, S., Oftedal, J. Kremer, G., Bastias, A., Molenaar, K., Madson, K., and Franz, B. 2019. Developing a TRIZ-based Design for Flexibility Tool for Manufacturing Facilities. , 2019 IISE Annual Conference.
- Maslak, K., and Franz, B. 2018. Exploring the Growth of Public-Private Partnerships by Examining Enabling Legislation. , 2018 Construction Research Congress, New Orleans, LA.
- Maslak K., Franz, B., Molenaar K., and Kremer G. 2018. State-of-the-Practice in the Design and Construction of Flexible Facilities. , 2018 Construction Research Congress, New Orleans, LA.
- Franz, B., Leicht, R., amd Maslak, K. 2018. Framework for Assessing Resilience in the Communication Networks of AEC Teams. Engineering Project Organization Journal, Vol. 8, No. 1.
- Maslak, K., Franz, B., and Leicht, R. 2017. Framework for Assessing Resilience in the Communication Networks of AEC Teams. ,15th Engineering Project Organization Conference, Stanford Sierra Camp, CA.
- Madson, K. 2020. Developing a decision tool to select the best flexible facility approach for the manufacturing industry. Vecellio Construction Engineering and Management Seminar Series, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (virtual).
- Madson, K. 2020. Real Options Approach for Flexible Building Delivery. Construction Research Conference, Tempe, AZ, March 8–10.
- Madson, K. 2019. Scenario-Based Flexible Manufacturing Facility Designs: Understanding Lifecycle Value. Engineering Project Organization Conference, Vail, CO, June 10–13.
- Madson, K. 2019. Strategic Development of Flexible Manufacturing Facilities. Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers 2019 Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, May 18–21.
- Madson, K. 2019. Assessing the Influence of Manufacturing Flexibility on Facility Construction Costs. Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers 2019 Annual Conference, Orlando, FL, May 18–21.
- Madson, K. 2018. Exploring the Growth of Public-Private Partnerships by Examining Enabling Legislation. Construction Research Conference, New Orleans, LA, April 2–4.
- Madson, K. 2018. State-of-the-Practice in the Design and Construction of Flexible Facilities. Construction Research Conference, New Orleans, LA, April 2–4.