Dr. Charles Sikorsky is a research scientist at the Institute for Transportation, contributing to various research associated with the Center for Transportation Research and Education.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1990
- MS, Civil Engineering, Texas A&M University, 1985
- BS, Civil Engineering, Lehigh University, 2011
- Professional Engineering (PE) License, State of California (No. C51285)
- Professional Engineering (PE) License, State of Texas (No. 129631)
- Subject Matter Expert, Institute for Transportation Studies, University of California, Berkeley (ITS Berkeley), Berkeley, CA. 2018–present
- Senior Bridge Engineer, Office of Earthquake Engineering, California Department of Transportation, Sacramento, CA, 2016–2018
- Acting Office Chief, Office of Earthquake Engineering, California Department of Transportation, Sacramento, CA, 2015–2016
- Senior Bridge Engineer, Office of Earthquake Engineering, California Department of Transportation, Sacramento, CA, 2004–2015
- Senior Bridge Engineer (Supy), Toll Bridge Program, California Department of Transportation, Sacramento, CA, 2003–2004
Selected Journal Publications
- Sim, H. B., C. M. Uang, and C. Sikorsky. 2009. Effects of Fabrication Procedures on Fatigue Resistance of Welded Joints in Steel Orthotropic Decks. Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 366–373.
- Park, S., S. Choi, N. Stubbs, R. Bolton, A. Price, and C. Sikorsky. 2006. A modal parameter-based technique to inspect welded reinforcement splices. Engineering Structures, Vol. 28, pp. 453–465.
- Bolton, R., C. Sikorsky, S. Park, S. Choi, and N. Stubbs. 2005. Modal Property Changes of a Seismically Damaged Concrete Bridge. Journal of Bridge Engineering, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 415–428.
- Kaiser, H., V. M. Karbhari, and C. Sikorsky. 2004. Non-Destructive Testing Techniques for FRP Rehabilitated Concrete: II – Assessment. International Journal of Materials and Product Technology, V 21, No. 5, pp. 349–384.
- Choi, S., S. Park, R. Bolton, N. Stubbs, and C. Sikorsky. 2004. Periodic monitoring of physical property changes in a concrete box-girder bridge. Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 278, pp. 365–381.
- Stubbs, N., S. Park, S. Choi, and C. Sikorsky. 2000. A Global Non-Destructive Damage Assessment Methodology for Civil Engineering Structures. International Journal of Systems Science, Vol. 31, No. 11, pp. 1361–1373.
- Sikorsky, C., and N. Stubbs. 1986. Structural Risk Management of the Construction Process. Journal of the American Institute of Constructors, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 25–31.
Selected Conference Proceedings and Presentations
- Kalmogo, P., N. Sreekumar, S. Sritharan, and C. Sikorsky. 2022. Rehabilitation of Decks in Post-Tensioned Box-Girder Bridges. Proc., International Bridge Conference, Pittsburgh, PA, July 18–20.
- Sikorsky, C. 2011. Improving the Safety of California’s Bridges. Proc., 2011 EERI Annual Meeting, La Jolla, CA, February 9–12, pp. 249–250.
- Sikorsky, C., and V. M. Karbhari. 2010. Structural Health Monitoring and Field Validation of Civil Engineering Structures on Bridges. Service Life Estimation and Extension of Civil Engineering Structures, Woodhead Publishing Limited, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- Sikorsky, C. 2005. A Strategy to Implement Structural Health Monitoring on Bridges. Sensing Issues in Civil Structural Health Monitoring, Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, pp. 43–53.
- Sikorsky, C., and V. M. Karbhari. 2003. An Assessment of Structural Health Monitoring Capabilities to Load Rate Bridges. Proc.,1st International Conference on Structural Health Monitoring and Intelligent Infrastructure, Tokyo, Japan, pp. 977–985.
- Sikorsky, C., and V. Karbhari (ed.) 2003. Proc., First Caltrans/UCSD Structural Health Monitoring Workshop, March 7–8.
- Sikorsky, C., N. Stubbs, R. Bolton and V. M. Karbhari. 2022. The Application of Structural Health Monitoring to Evaluate Bridge Strength. Proc., Structural Health Monitoring Workshop, SHM/ISIS, Winnipeg, Canada, pp. 341–350.
- Sikorsky, C., N. Stubbs, V. Karbhari, and F. Seible. 2001. Capacity Assessment of a Bridge Rehabilitated Using FRP Composites. Proc., 5th International Conference on Fibre-Reinforced Plastics for Reinforced Concrete Structures, FRPRCS-5, Vol. 1, Cambridge, pp. 137–146.