Dr. Soumik Sarkar is an associate professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Iowa State University. He also contributes to various research on transportation projects associated with the Real-Time Analytics of Transportation Data (REACTOR) Laboratory and the Center for Transportation Research and Education. His research specialties include, but are not limited to, the diagnostics, prognostics, and supervisory control of complex cyber-physical systems as well as data mining and visualization, machine learning, and the use of probabilistic graphical models.
- PhD, Mechanical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 2011
- MS, Mechanical, Massachusetts Pennsylvania State University, 2009
- MA, Mathematics, Massachusetts Pennsylvania State University, 2009
- BE, Mechanical Engineering, Jadavpur University, India, 2006
- Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Iowa State University, 2019–present
- Courtesy Appointment, Department of Computer Science, Iowa State University, 2019–present
- Director, Translational AI Center (TrAC), Iowa State University, 2021–present
- Chief Innovation Officer and Partner, Etalyc LLC., 2017–present
Dr. Sarkar has authored or co-authored a total of 247 publications, including 98 peer-reviewed journal papers, 8 book chapters, and 141 peer-reviewed conference papers.
- Croll, H. C., K. Ikuma, S. K. Ong, and S. Sarkar. 2023. Reinforcement learning applied to wastewater treatment process control optimization: Approaches, challenges, and path forward. Critical Reviews in Environmental Science and Technology.
- Lu, H., V. P. Nemani, V. Barzegar, C. Allen, C. Hu, S. Laflamme, S. Sarkar, and A. T. Zimmerman. 2023. A physics-informed feature weighting method for bearing fault diagnostics. Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, Vol. 191.
- Waite, J. R., S. Y. Tan, H. Saha, S. Sarkar, and A. Sarkar. 2023. Few-shot deep learning for AFM force curve characterization of single-molecule interactions. Patterns, Vol. 4, No. 1.
- Rairdin, A., F. Fotouhi, J. Zhang, D. S. Mueller, B. Ganapathysubramanian, A. K. Singh, S. Dutta, S. Sarkar, and A. Singh. 2022. Deep learning-based phenotyping for genome wide association studies of sudden death syndrome in soybean. Frontiers in Plant Science, Vol. 13.
- Balu, S., S. Sarkar, B. Ganapathysubramanian, and A. Krishnamurthy. 2022. Physics-Aware Machine Learning Surrogates for Real-time Manufacturing Digital Twin. Manufacturing Letters, Vol. 34, pp. 71–74.
- Rade, J., J. Zhang, S. Sarkar, A. Krishnamurthy, J. Ren, and A. Sarkar. 2022. Deep Learning for Live Cell Shape Detection and Automated AFM Navigation. Bioengineering, 9, No. 10, 522pp.
- Mukherjee, A., A. Joshi, A. Sharma, C. Hegde, and S. Sarkar. 2022. Generative Semantic Domain Adaptation for Perception in Autonomous Driving. Journal of Big Data Analytics in Transportation.
- Nagasubramanian, K., A. K. Singh, A. Singh, S. Sarkar, and B. Ganapathysubramanian. 2022. Plant Phenotyping with Limited Annotation: Doing More with Less. Plant Phenome Journal.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Service
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2008–present
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2008–present
- Associate Editor, Frontier in Robotics and AI: Sensor Fusion and Machine Perception, 2014–present
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Big Data Analytics in Transportation, 2018–present
- Associate Editor, Plant Phenomics, a Science partner journal, 2018–present
- Iowa State College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Team Award, 2022
- Walter W Wilson Faculty Fellow in Engineering, Iowa State University, 2020
- Iowa State University Early Achievement in Research Award, 2020
- NSF CAREER Award, National Science Foundation, 2019
- Iowa State College of Engineering Early Achievement in Research Award, 2019