Mr. Smith became an associate director of the National Concrete Pavement Technology Center in August 2017. Having been associated with the CP Tech Center since the late 1990s, Mr. Smith has served as a board member throughout its existence, playing roles in the Center’s founding and in building its long-term partnerships with the Iowa Department of Transportation and industry.
He brings nearly 45 years of experience with concrete pavements and products to the table, including 31 years with the Iowa Concrete Pavement Association as its president and 16 years as executive director of the Iowa Ready Mixed Concrete Association.
- BS, Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, 1975
- Registered Civil Engineer in Iowa (# PE9348) April 1980, Nebraska (# E5482) August 1982
- Associate Director, National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, September 2017-present, Ames Iowa
- Works with the National CP Tech Center team to provide an important technical and educational resource to the concrete paving industry, street and highway agencies, and academia
- Specific focus areas include liaison with industry partners, performance engineered mixtures (PEM), concrete overlay design, construction and performance, and concrete pavement preservation.
- President, Iowa Concrete Paving Association/Executive Director, Iowa Ready Mixed Concrete Association, 2001–2017, Ankeny, IA
- Represented and advised 43 ready-mixed concrete producers and 70 allied associates throughout the state of Iowa
- Served and assisted the IRMCA Board of Directors and Committees in formulation of objectives, goals, and policies of the organization
- Worked with and guided staff, provided business and accounting oversight, facilitated development and implementation of promotion and marketing initiatives, oversaw the coordination of meetings and educational programs, served as/provided liaisons to committees and task forces, and monitored regulatory issues of significance to the industry
- President/ Executive Vice President, Iowa Concrete Paving Association, 1995-2001/1989-2001, Ankeny, IA
- Served 30 concrete paving contractor members and more than 80 allied associates
- Directed the overall activities and programs of the Association through the development of policies and procedures, management of funds, staffing, equipment, materials, and related resources necessary for the accomplishment of Association goals and objectives
- Counseled and encouraged ICPA staff to evaluate and improve performance while also providing enrichment opportunities
- Interacted and collaborated with road authorities, members of the general public, public interest groups, contractors, legislators, and others to broaden the message and objectives of the Association; advancing the art, science, and use of concrete pavements in the state of Iowa
- Construction Engineer, Iowa Concrete Paving Association, 1986–1989, Ankeny, IA
- Traveled extensively throughout the state of Iowa, making positive contacts with engineers and contracting authorities
- Provided advice, counsel, and assistance in conception and planning of pavement projects for highways, streets, airfields, and other public improvements
- Advanced the use of concrete road materials by means of public education, information, and research
- Prepared bulletins, analysis of lettings, issued interpretations and resolution with respect to engineering design, and maintained records of paving statewide
- Chief Engineer/Corporate Secretary, Central Paving Corporation, 1980–1986, Indianola, IA
- In addition to responsibilities of the estimating engineer, I managed multiple contracts for paving, grading, shouldering, and erosion control activities, supervised office staff involved in contract management and general business functions, and collaborated with other corporate officers in strategic planning and scoping activity for the company.
- Estimating Engineer, Central Paving Corporation, 1976–1980, Indianola, IA
- Reviewed plans, conducted take offs and bids on highway construction projects involving concrete paving operations, shouldering crews, grading operations, and erosion control activities; provided contract management for these operations, including job cost analysis Construction Field Supervision, Central Paving Corporation, 1972–1975, Indianola IA
- Experiences ranged from laborer, truck driver, and equipment operator to grade foreman and saw/seal foreman for concrete paving operation, building 60 to 80 miles of secondary road pavements per construction season
Honors and Awards
- ACPA Hartmann-Hirschman-Egan Award (2012) – In recognition of service to the concrete paving industry, both in Iowa and throughout the nation
- FHWA, Region 7 Showcase 92 Award (1992) – For exemplary contributions toward technology transfer through the showcase of innovative construction methods and technologies for roads and bridges
- AGC of Iowa Award – For meritorious service and dedication to the AGC of Iowa (1984–1985)