In Dr. Jennifer Shane’s dual role as both associate professor and director of the CMAT Program at the Institute for Transportation, she can work with academics and industry through her research and teaching responsibilities. Dr. Shane has engaged industry, through owners and contractors, in multiple research projects to develop guides on project management, nighttime construction activities, and project delivery, including guides for the National Cooperative Highway Research Program and the Second Strategic Highway Research Program.
Dr. Shane has also worked with the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) on multiple projects. One project involved cost estimation process improvement and organizational integration, which resulted in a cost estimation and cost management technical reference manual. This was followed by work on risk-based engineers estimate practices and identification of issues for implementing the construction manager/general contractor (CM/GC) process on MnDOT projects. Dr. Shane is currently working with the Iowa Department of Transportation on projects involving providing supportive services for disadvantaged business enterprises, information sharing workflow, and rapid bridge deck joint repair. Dr. Shane has also been engaged in research regarding work zone safety and risk.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, and Management, University of Colorado, 2006
- MS, Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, and Management, University of Colorado, 2003
- BS, Engineering-Civil Specialty, Colorado School of Mines, 2000
- W. A. Klinger Teaching Professor, Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2020–present
- Associate Department Chair, Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, Summer 2020–present
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2012–present
- Director, Construction Management and Technology program, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, 2010–present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2006–2012
- Engineering Associate, Kansas Department of Transportation, Atwood, KS, 2000–2001
- Shrestha, B. K., J. Choi, Y. H. Kwak, and J. S. Shane. 2021. Recipes for Standardized Capital Projects’ Performance Success. Journal of Management in Engineering, Vol. 37, No. 4.
- Dang, H., J. S. and Shane. 2020. Fraud and Abuse Schemes in the Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program. Journal of Legal Affairs and Dispute Resolution, ASCE, August 2020.
- Choi, J. O., B. Shrestha, Y. H. Kwak, and J. S. Shane. 2020. Innovative Technologies and Management Approaches for Facility Design Standardization and Modularization of Capital Projects. Journal of Management in Engineering, ASCE, September 2020.
- Kermanshachi, S., B. Dao, B. Rouhanizadeh, J. S. Shane, and S. Anderson. 2018. Development of the Project Complexity Assessment and Management Framework for Heavy Industrial Projects. International Journal of Construction Education and Research.
Selected Referred Conference Proceedings
- Dang, H., and J. S. Shane. 2020. A Linear Development Model for Disadvantaged Business Enterprises in Construction Engineering and Management. Proc., Construction Research Congress 2020, ASCE, Tempe, AZ.
- Resende, C. B., M. J. Volk, and J. S. Shane. 2020. Post-Project Evaluation and Lessons Learned. Proc., Construction Research Congress 2020, ASCE, Tempe, AZ.
- Shane, J. S., T. Becker, C. Roberts, and M. Kiggins. 2020. Owner and Contractor Choices and Dilemmas: Contemporary Project Delivery Options. Proc., Construction Research Congress 2020, ASCE, Tempe, AZ.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Service
- ASCE—American Society of Civil Engineers
- Management Practices in Construction Chair, 2015–present
- Journal of Management in Engineering Editorial Board, 2015–present
- Co-editor, Special Collection on Diversity, 2019–2021
- Practice Periodical on Structural Design and Construction Editorial Board, 2017–present
- DBIA—Design-Build Institute of America
- TRB—Transportation Research Board of the National Academies
- Member, Committee on Construction Management, AKC10, 2008–2020 (Chair, 2021–present)
- Member, Committee on Contracting Equity, AJE60, 2018–present
- ASCE, 2014, Journal of Management in Engineering, Best Peer Reviewed Paper Award for “Project Complexity Mapping in Five Dimensions for Complex Transportation Projects” (Vol. 29, No. 4, October 2013)
- Iowa State University, College of Engineering, Early Career Engineering Faculty Research Award, 2012
- Design-Build Institute of America, 2010 Distinguished Leadership Award for Faculty
- ASCE, 2008, Journal of Management in Engineering, Best Peer Reviewed Paper Award for “Comparative Analysis of Owner Goals for Design/Build Projects” (Vol. 24, No. 1, January 2008