In Dr. Shane’s duel role as both associate professor and director of the CMAT Program at the Institute for Transportation, she can work with academics and industry through her research and teaching responsibilities. Dr. Shane has engaged industry, through owners and contractors, in multiple research projects to develop guides on project management, nighttime construction activities, and project delivery, including guides for the National Cooperative Highway Research Program and the Second Strategic Highway Reseach Program. Dr. Shane has also worked with the Minnesota Department of Transportation on multiple projects. One project involved cost estimation process improvement and organizational integration, which resulted in a cost estimation and cost management technical reference manual. This was followed by work on risk-based engineers estimate practices and identification of issues for implementing the construction manager/general contractor (CM/GC) process on MnDOT projects. Dr. Shane is currently working with the Iowa Department of Transporation on projects involving providing supportive services for disadvantaged business enterprises, information sharing workflow, and rapid bridge deck joint repair. Dr. Shane has also been engaged in research regarding work zone safety and risk.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, and Management, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 2006
- MS, Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, and Management, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 2003
- BS, Engineering-Civil Specialty, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO, 2000
- Associate Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2012–present,
- Director, Construction Management and Technology program, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, 2010–present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2006–2012
- Engineering Associate, Kansas Department of Transportation, Atwood, KS, 2000–2001
- B. Dao, S. Kermanshachi, J. Shane, S. Anderson, E. Hare. 2017. Exploring and Assessing Project Complexity. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, Vol. 143, No. 5.
- G. M. Gad, J. S. Shane, K. Strong, J. Choi. 2016. Rethinking Trust in Construction Contracts’ Formation: The Dispute Resolution Method Selection. Journal of Legal Affairs in Dispute Resolution in Engineering and Construction, ASCE, Vol. 8, No. 3.
- D. D. Gransberg and J. S. Shane. 2014. Defining Best-Value for Construction Manager/General Contractor Projects: The CMGC Learning Curve. Journal of Management in Engineering, ASCE.
- C. Lopez del Puerto and J. S. Shane. 2014. Keys to Success in Mega-Project Management in Mexico and the United States: A Case Study. Journal of Construction Engineering and Management (Special Bi-Lingual Issue), ASCE. Also submitted in Spanish, “Claves del éxito en la gestión de megaproyectos en México y los Estados Unidos: un estudio de casos”, ASCE, Vol. 140, No. 4.
- D. D. Gransberg, J. S. Shane, K. Strong, and C. Lopez del Puerto. 2013. Project Complexity Mapping in Five Dimensions for Complex Transportation Projects. Journal of Management in Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 316–326.
- T. C. Becker, J. S. Shane, and E. J. Jaselskis. 2012. Comparative Analysis of Lean Construction with Design-Build Using a Framework of Contractual forms of Agreement. Journal of Architectural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 187–191.
- Brncich, A., Shane, J. S., Strong, K. C., and Passe, U. 2011. Using Integrated Student Teams to Advance Education in Sustainable Design and Construction. International Journal of Construction Education and Research, Associated Schools of Construction, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 22–40.
Selected Referred Conference Proceedings
- S. Kermanshachi, J. Shane, S. Anderson. Project Success Prediction: A Multinomial Logistic Regression Model. Proceedings of the International Conference on Sustainable Design, Engineering, and Construction, Tempe, AZ, May 2016
- G. M. Gad and J. S. Shane. Trust in the Construction Industry: A Literature Review. Proceedings of the 2014 Construction Research Congress, ASCE, pp. 2136–2145.
- E. Bahrevar, J. S. Shane, and D. H. S. Jeong. Financing Options for Surface Transportation Projects in the United States. Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board Annual Conference, Washington, DC, January 2014.
- Shane, J. S., Enz, D., and Strong, K. C. Highway Work Zone Risk Assessment. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Transportation Construction Management, Orlando, FL, February 2011.
- Shane, J. S. and Gransberg, D. D. Project Delivery Method Impact on Final Project Quality: Perceptions in the Transportation Industry, Paper 11-0397. Proceedings of the Transportation Research Board 90th Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, January 2011.
- Owens, J., Shane, J. S., Strong, K. C., Ahn, J., and Gransberg, D. D. Resource Allocation for Complex Highway Projects, Paper 11-0394. Washington, DC, January 2011.
Professional Affiliations, Honors, and Service
- ASCE—American Society of Civil Engineers
- Management Practices in Construction Chair, 2015–present
- Journal of Management in Engineering Editorial Board, 2015–present
- DBIA–Design-Build Institute of America
- National University Outreach and Engagement Committee, 2016–present
- TRB—Transportation Research Board of the National Academies
- Member, Committee on Construction Management, AFH10, 2008–present
- Communication Coordinator, AFH10, 2009–present
- ASCE, 2014, Journal of Management in Engineering, Best Peer Reviewed Paper Award for “Project Complexity Mapping in Five Dimensions for Complex Transportation Projects” (Vol. 29, No. 4, October 2013)
- Iowa State University, College of Engineering, Early Career Engineering Faculty Research Award, 2012
- Design-Build Institute of America, 2010 Distinguished Leadership Award for Faculty
- ASCE, 2008, Journal of Management in Engineering, Best Peer Reviewed Paper Award for “Comparative Analysis of Owner Goals for Design/Build Projects” (Vol. 24, No. 1, January 2008)