Dr. Wang is a faculty member in the Department of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering and is closely associated with the National Center of Concrete Pavement Technology at Iowa State University. She does research in many aspects of concrete materials, including cement hydration, microstructure characterization, concrete durability, sustainable concrete materials, and advanced concrete technology.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of California, Berkeley, 1994
- MS, Civil Engineering, Chinese Academy of Sciences (Beijing, China), 1985
- BS, Civil Engineering, Hefei University of Technology (Hefei, China), 1982
- Chemistry and microstructure of concrete (cement hydration and air void structure)
- Nano-technology and application in concrete (nano-silica, nano-clay and nano-limestone)
- Workability and rheology of concrete
- Durability of concrete (freezing-thawing, alkali-silica reaction, and corrosion of reinforcement)
- Sustainable concrete materials (uses of slag, fly ash, silica fume, recycled aggregate, geopolymer)
- Advanced concrete technology (self-consolidating concrete, roller compacting concrete, mass concrete and pervious concretes)
- Concrete pavement (mix design, quality control, distress analysis, and repair)
- Wi, K., Wang, K., Taylor, P., Laflamme, S., Sritharan, S., and Qin, H. 2021. Properties and Microstructure of Extrusion-based 3D Printing Mortar Containing a Highly Flowable, Rapid Set Grout. Cement and Concrete Composites, 124.
- Liao, Y., Gui, Y., Wang, K., Al Qunaynah, S., Bawa, S. M., and Tang, S. 2021. Activation energy of calcium sulfoaluminate cement-based materials. Materials and Structures, 54, 162p.
- Sargam, Y., and Wang, K. 2021.Quantifying dispersion of nanosilica in hardened cement matrix using a novel SEM-EDS and image analysis-based methodology. Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 147.
- Kawashima, S., Wang, K.,Ferron, R. D., Kim, J. H., Tregger, N., and Shah, S. P. A review of the effect of nanoclays on the fresh and hardened properties of cement-based materials. Cement and Concrete Research, Vol.
- Wi, K., Hong, J., and Wang, K. 2021.Determine printable zone of 3D printable mortar using flow table tests. ACI Materials Journal, Special Issue on Advanced Rheology and AM.
- Sargam,, and Wang, K. 2021.Hydration kinetics and activation energy of cement pastes containing various nanoparticles. Composites Part B, Vol. 216.
- Luo,, Li, W., Li, P., Wang, K., and Shah, S. P. 2021. Investigation on effect of nanosilica dispersion on the properties and microstructures of fly ash-based geopolymer composite. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 282.
- Sargam, Y., Wang, K., Tsyrenova, A., Liu, F., and Jiang, S. 2021. Effect of anionic and nonionic surfactants on the dispersion and stability of nanoSiO2 in aqueous and cement pore solutions. Cement and Concrete Research, 144.
- Luo, Z., Li, W., Wang,, Castle, A., and Shah, S. P. 2021. Comparison on properties of ITZs in fly ash-based geopolymer and Portland cement concretes with equivalent flowability. Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 143.
- Sargam,, and Wang, K. 2021. Influence of dispersants and dispersion on properties of nanosilica modified cement-based materials. Cement and Concrete Composite, Vol. 118.
- Milla, T. Cavalline, T. Rupnow, B., Shankaramurthy, M., Lomboy, G., and Wang. K. 2021. Methods of Test for Concrete Permeability: A Critical Review. Advances in Civil Engineering Materials, Vol. 10, No. 1.
- Xue, C., Li, W., Luo, Z., and Wang, K. 2021. Effects of chloride on self-healing behavior of cementitious composite with crystalline admixture and MgO expansive agent. Cement and Concrete Research, Vol. 139.
- Sargam, Y., Wang, K., and Cho, I. 2021. Machine learning based prediction model for thermal conductivity of concrete. Journal of Building Engineering, Vol. 34.
- Shu, Q., Wang, K., Yuan, G., Zhan, Y., Lu, L., and Liu, Z. 2020. Assessing capacity of corroded angle members in steel structures based on experiment and simulation. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 244.
- Liao, Y., Jiang, G., Wang, K., Al Qunaynah, S., and Yuan, W. 2020. Effect of steel slag on the hydration and strength development of calcium sulfoaluminate cement. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 265.
- Shi, J., Hou, P., Prabakar, S., Cheng, X., Wang, K., Zhou, X., and Shah, S. P. 2020. Effects of Mixing Sequences of Nanosilica on the Hydration and Hardening Properties of Cement-based Materials. Construction & Building Materials, Vol. 263.
- Hou, P., Wang, X., Zhao, P., Wang, K., Kawashima, S., Chen, X., and Shah, S. P. 2020. Physicochemical effects of nanosilica on C3A/C3S hydration. Journal of the American Ceramic Society, Vol. 103, pp. 6505–6518.
- Freeseman, K., Wang, K., and Tan, Y. 2020. Bond Strength and Chloride Resistance of Epoxy and Concrete Overlays on Bridge Decks. International Journal of Pavement Engineering, June 2020.
- Dong, W., Li, W., Wang, K., Guo, Y., and Shah, S. P. 2020. Effect of carbon black on mechanical and self-sensing capacity of functional cementitious composite with polypropylene fiber. Powder Technology, Vol. 373, pp. 184–194.
- Fu, C., Ling, Y., and Wang, K. An innovation study on chloride and oxygen diffusions in simulated interfacial transition zone of cementitious material. Cement and Concrete Composite, Vol. 110.
- Qin, H., Manikandan GD, K., Wi, K., Zhang, X., and Wang, K. 2020. Characterizing cement mixtures for concrete 3D printing. Manufacturing Letters, Vol. 24, pp. 33–37.
- Zhang, F., Xia, J., Li, G., Guo, Z., Chang, H., and Wang, K. 2020. Degradation of Axial Ultimate Load-bearing Capacity of Circular Thin-walled Concrete-filled Steel Tubular Stub Columns after Corrosion. Materials, Vol. 13, 795p.
- Liu, J., Wang, K., Zhang, Q., Lomboy, G., Zhang, L., Liu, J. 2020. Effects of ultrafine powders on the properties of lubrication layer and highly flowable concrete. ASCE Journal of Concrete Materials, Vol. 32, No. 5.
- Sargam, Y., Wang, K., and Alleman, J. 2020. Effects of Modern Concrete Materials on Thermal Conductivity. ASCE Journal of Civil Engineering Materials, Vol. 32, No. 2.
- Wi, K., Suresh, V., Wang, K., Li, B., and Qin, H. 2020. Quantifying Quality of 3D Printed Clay Objects Using a 3D Structured Light Scanning System. Additive Manufacturing, Vol.
- Wang, X., Lu, G., and Wang, K. 2020. Effect of Inter-Particle Action on Shear Thickening Behavior of Cementitious Composites: Modeling and Experimental Validation. Journal of Sustainable Cement-Based Materials, 9, No. 2, pp. 78–93.
- Wang, X., Wang, X. H., Sadati, S., Taylor, P., and Wang, K. 2019. A Modified Foam Drainage Test Protocol for Assessing Incompatibility of Admixture Combinations and Stability of Air Structure in Cementitious Systems. Construction & Building Materials, Vol. 211, pp. 174–184.
- Choi, S., Park, S., and Wang, K. 2019. Early‐age strength of alkali‐activated slag mortar based on burned oyster shell and other chemical activators. ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol. 31, No. 9.
- Zhao¢, Z., Wang, K., Lange, D. A., Zhou, H., Wang, W., and Zhu, D. 2019. Creep and thermal cracking of ultra-high volume fly ash mass concrete at early age. Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 99, pp. 191–202.
- Ling, Y., Wang, K., and Fu, C. 2019. Shrinkage Behavior of Fly Ash Based Geopolymer Pastes with and without Shrinkage Reducing Admixture. Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 98, pp. 74–82.
- Ling, Y., Wang, K., Li, W., Shi, G., and Lu, P. 2019. Effect of slag on the mechanical properties of fly ash-based engineered geopolymer composites. Composites Part B, Vol. 164, pp. 747–757.
- Murphy, E., Lomboy, G., Wang, K., Sundararajan, S., and Subramaniam, S. 2019. The rheology of slurries of a thermal cohesive micro-particles immersed in fluid: A computational and experimental comparison. Chemical Engineering Science, 193, pp. 411–420.
- Fu, C., Ye, H., Wang, K., Zhu, K., and He, C. 2019. Evolution of mechanical properties of steel fiber-reinforced rubberized concrete (FR-RC). Composites Part B, Vol. 160, pp. 158–166.
Professional, Affiliations, Honors and Awards
- Professional Engineer (PE): Civil Engineering, State of Illinois
- Fellow of American Concrete Institute (since March 2013)
- Senior Editor: Journal of Construction and Building Materials
- Associate Editor: ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering
- Editorial Board Member: ASTM Journal of Advances in Civil Engineering Materials