Dr. Peter Taylor leads internationally recognized research at the National Concrete Pavement Technology Center. His high-impact work has resulted in the development of standard practices such as AASHTO PP 84: Developing Performance Engineered Concrete Pavement Mixtures. Additionally, his research has helped transportation agencies save millions of dollars by preventing premature failures in sawn joints and improving concrete proportioning tools for sustainable concrete mixtures.
Dr. Taylor regularly presents at workshops, seminars, and conferences as an invited speaker, where the information he presents about the current research in concrete technology has a strong impact on the concrete pavement community in the United States and internationally.
- PhD, Civil Engineering, University of Cape Town, South Africa, 1995
- BS, Civil Engineering, University of Cape Town, South Africa, 1982
- Director, National Concrete Pavement Technology Center, Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2015–present
- Research Professor, Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Ames, IA, 2020–present
- Co-Director, Center for Nanotechnology of Cementitious Systems, Iowa State University, 2008–2015
- Engineer & Group Manager, Construction Technology Laboratories (CTLGroup), 1997–2007
- Engineer, Cement and Concrete Institute, South Africa, 1992–1997
- Senior Lecturer, University of Cape Town, South Africa, 1990–1991
- Research Officer, University of Witwatersrand, South Africa, 1987–1989
- Engineer, Stewart Scott, NCL – Consulting Engineers, 1983–1987
- Goran A., S. Sadati, Y. Ling, P. Taylor, K. Wang, and J. T. Kevern. 2022. Penetrating Sealer Effects on the Durability Performance of Concrete Joints. Materials Journal, 119, No. 6.
- Rahman, M. L., A. Malakooti, H. Ceylan, P. Taylor, and S. Kim. 2022. A Review of Electrically Conductive Concrete Heated Pavement System Technologies: From the Laboratory to the Full-Scale Implementation. Construction and Building Materials.
- Chen, Y-A., P. Taylor, H. Ceylan, and X. Wang. 2021. Evaluation of Joint Activation and Slab Length in Concrete Overlays. Road Materials and Pavement Design, Vol. 23, No. 12, pp. 2914–2923.
- Sun, W., K. Wang, P. Taylor, and X. Wang. 2021. Air void clustering in concrete and its effect on concrete strength. International Journal of Pavement Engineering, Vol. 23, No. 14, pp. 5127–5141.
- Wi, K., K. Wang, P. Taylor, P., S. Laflamme, S. Sritharan, and H. Qin. 2021. Properties and Microstructure of Extrusion-Based 3D Printing Mortar Containing a Highly Flowable, Rapid Set Grout. Cement and Concrete Composites, Vol. 124.
- Wang, X., P. Song, H. Yu, P. Taylor, S. Sadati, K. Freeseman, and Y. Ning. 2021. Extended Life Concrete Bridge Decks Utilizing Internal Curing to Reduce Cracking – Materials Characterization and Engineering Demonstration. Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 275.
- Ling, Y., P. Zhang, J. Wang, P. Taylor, and S. Hu. 2020. Effects of nanoparticles on engineering performance of cementitious composites reinforced with PVA fibers. Nanotechnology Reviews, Vol. 9, pp. 504–514.
- Active member of Transportation Research Board, American Society for Testing & Materials (ASTM), American Concrete Institute (ACI) and ACI Iowa
- Vice-chair, ACI 325: Concrete Pavements
- Sub-committee chair, ACI 325-F: Concrete Overlays
- Board Member, International Society of Concrete Pavements
- Chair of Planning Committee for ACI IA Better Concrete Conference
- American Concrete Pavement Association (ACPA), Strategic Advisory Board, 2017–present
- Frank G. Erskine Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Use of Lightweight Aggregate Expanded Shale, Clay and Slate Institute, 2022
- Technical Innovation Award, American Public Works Association, Iowa Chapter, 2017
- Concrete State Award for Technical Achievement, Iowa Ready Mixed Concrete Association, 2017
- PCA Education Foundation J.P. Gleason Fellowship Award, Portland Cement Association, 2015