Mr. Knickerbocker has five years of experience in transportation engineering, working primarily in the areas of traffic operations, safety, and asset management. He is a research engineer assisting in the management and support for several research projects for the Iowa Department of Transportation, Midwest Transportation Center, Strategic Highway Research Program, and the Federal Highway Administration through collaboration with the Center for Transportation Research and Education.
- MS, Civil Engineering, Iowa State University, 2012
- BS, Missouri University of Science and Technology, 2011
- Research Engineer, Center for Transportation Research and Education, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, 2012–present
- Graduate Research Assistant, Department of Civil, Construction, and Environmental Engineering, Iowa State University, 2011–2012
Professional Activities and Certifications
- Professional Engineer, IA (No 23147)
- Young Member, TRB Committee AHD55
Selected Research Projects
- SHRP2 S04A Roadway Information Database Development and Technical Coordination and Quality Assurance of the Mobile Data Collection Project (S04B), SHRP2, 2013–present
- Analysis of Dynamic Advisory Messaging, Iowa DOT, 2015–present
- Research Projects for the Iowa DOT Office of Transportation Operations, Iowa DOT, 2014–present
- Work Zone Safety using SHRP2 Naturalistic Driving Study Data, MnDOT, 2016–present
- Performance based Operations Assessment of Adaptive Traffic Signal Control, Iowa DOT, 2015–present
- Speed Limits, Geometry, and Driver Behavior, SHRP2, 2016–present
- Evaluation of Opportunities and Challenges of Using INRIX Data for Real-time Performance Monitoring and Historical Trend Assessment, Nebraska DOR, 2016–present
- Evaluation of Rural Intersection Treatment, Iowa DOT, Iowa DOT, 2016–present
- SHRP2 Data to Evaluate Roadway Departure Characteristics, Iowa DOT, 2016–present
- Iowa DOT Traffic Operations Open Data Service, Iowa DOT, 2016–present
- SHRP2 Implementation Assistance Program, HDR, 2016-present
- Evaluating All-Weather Pavement Marking and Lab Methods to Simulate Field Exposure, Illinois DOT, 2012–present
- Technical Support for the Roadway Information Database, National Academies, 2015–present
- Evaluation of Truck and Agricultural Vehicle Behavior at Reduced Conflict Intersections, MnDOT, 2015
- Evaluating ICWS systems in Minnesota, MnDOT, 2014–2017
- Evaluation of Temporary Rumble Strips in Work Zones, Iowa DOT, 2015–2017
- Iowa Traffic Safety Data Service (ITSDS), SICL for Intersections, Iowa Governors Traffic Safety Bureau, Iowa DOT, 2013–2015
- Iowa Local Road Safety Plans, Iowa DOT, Sub-contractor to Kimley-Horn, 2014
- Systemic Safety Improvement Risk Factor Evaluation and Countermeasure Summary, Mid-America Transportation Center and US DOT RITA, 2013–2014
- US Road Assessment Program (usRAP), AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, 2013–2014
- SHRP2 S04A Roadway Information Database Supplemental Data, SHRP2, 2013–2015
- Evaluation of the TAPCO Sequential Dynamic Curve Warning System, SAIC, 2012–2015
- Evaluation of Pavement Markings on Challenging Surfaces, MnDOT, 2013–2016
- Rural Traffic Calming in Iowa Communities, IHRB, 2012
- Adu-Gyamfi, Y., A. Sharma, S. Knickerbocker, N. Hawkins, and M. Jackson. 2016. A Comprehensive Data Driven Evaluation of Wide Area Probe Data: Opportunities and Challenges. Transportation Research Board 95th Annual Meeting Compendium of Papers, Washington, DC, Jan. 10–14.
- Adu-Gyamfi, Y., A. Sharma, S. Knickerbocker, N. Hawkins, and M. Jackson. 2015. Reliability of Probe Sensor Data for Detecting Congestion Trends. IEEE 18th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Canary Islands, Spain, Sept. 15–18.
- Hallmark, S., S. Knickerbocker, and N. Hawkins. 2013. Evaluation of Low Cost Traffic Calming for Rural Communities – Phase II. Midwest Transportation Consortium, Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Dong, J., A. Houchin, N. Shafieirad, C. Lu, N. Hawkins, and S. Knickerbocker. 2015. VISSIM Calibration for Urban Freeways. Center for Transportation Research and Education. Institute for Transportation, Iowa State University, Ames, IA.
- Smadi, O., N. Hawkins, S. Hallmark, and S. Knickerbocker. 2013. Evaluation of the TAPCO Sequential Dynamic Curve Warning System. Federal Highway Administration, Washington, DC.